Open Access Media Importer Bot
Member since July, 2012
- Some background as well as the basic features of the bot are described in these two blog posts.
- Original proposal (in German, with English summary)
- Initially funded by Wikimedia Deutschland as part of the Wissenswert 2011 initiative
- Random file uploaded by the bot
- Ongoing expansion to full-text import
- Bot request
- Operator: Daniel Mietchen
- Tasks: upload multimedia files from suitably licensed scholarly articles (gallery; usage, view stats)
- Home category: Category:Uploaded with Open Access Media Importer (Related changes)
- Mode: run automatically
- Time of operation: continuously
- Maximum edit rate: 6 edits per minute
- Code: https://github.com/wpoa/open-access-media-importer
- Language: Python
- The delay between publication of an article and it being indexed in PubMed Central varies between a few days and a few months (not counting embargoes, which do not apply to Wikimedia-compatibly licensed content anyway), sometimes even years (e.g. for back issues of newly indexed journals).
- Most articles indexed in PubMed Central are not in the Open Access Subset. For an idea how many articles are indexed in the Open Access Subset on a given day, see the data for February 1.
- Most articles in the Open Access Subset are not licensed compatibly with reuse on Wikimedia Commons.
- Only a small minority of the suitably licensed articles in the Open Access Subset have audio or video files associated with them.
- The delay between a suitably licensed article being indexed in the Open Access Subset and its video and audio materials being uploaded here is typically days to weeks, but can in rare cases be hours or years.
- The usefulness and completeness of the information used for file conversion, descriptions and categories varies by publisher, journal, article and file. Some more details here.
- Beck J, Chodacki J, Eaton A, Evans M, Gatti R, Gilbert J, Harrison M, Maloney C, Mietchen D, Mowlam T; JATS4R Working Group (2015) Improving the reusability of JATS. In: Journal Article Tag Suite Conference (JATS-Con) Proceedings 2015.
- Mietchen, D.; Maloney, C.; and Moskopp, N. D. (2013) Inconsistent XML as a Barrier to Reuse of Open Access Content. In: Journal Article Tag Suite Conference (JATS-Con) Proceedings 2013.
Accelerating Science AwardEdit
A selection of uploads that are being used on multiple and/ or popular pages across Wikimedia projects.