Open Access Media Importer Bot
Member since July, 2012
- Some background as well as the basic features of the bot are described in these two blog posts.
- Original proposal (in German, with English summary)
- Initially funded by Wikimedia Deutschland as part of the Wissenswert 2011 initiative
- Random file uploaded by the bot
- Ongoing expansion to full-text import
- Bot request
- Operator: Daniel Mietchen
- Tasks: upload multimedia files from suitably licensed scholarly articles (gallery; usage, view stats)
- Home category: Category:Uploaded with Open Access Media Importer (Related changes)
- Mode: run automatically
- Time of operation: continuously
- Maximum edit rate: 6 edits per minute
- Code: https://github.com/wpoa/open-access-media-importer
- Language: Python
- The delay between publication of an article and it being indexed in PubMed Central varies between a few days and a few months (not counting embargoes, which do not apply to Wikimedia-compatibly licensed content anyway), sometimes even years (e.g. for back issues of newly indexed journals).
- Most articles indexed in PubMed Central are not in the Open Access Subset. For an idea how many articles are indexed in the Open Access Subset on a given day, see the data for September 1.
- Most articles in the Open Access Subset are not licensed compatibly with reuse on Wikimedia Commons.
- Only a small minority of the suitably licensed articles in the Open Access Subset have audio or video files associated with them.
- The delay between a suitably licensed article being indexed in the Open Access Subset and its video and audio materials being uploaded here is typically around a day or two, but can in rare cases be hours or years.
- The usefulness and completeness of the information used for file conversion, descriptions and categories varies by publisher, journal, article and file. Some more details here.
- Beck J, Chodacki J, Eaton A, Evans M, Gatti R, Gilbert J, Harrison M, Maloney C, Mietchen D, Mowlam T; JATS4R Working Group (2015) Improving the reusability of JATS. In: Journal Article Tag Suite Conference (JATS-Con) Proceedings 2015.
- Mietchen, D.; Maloney, C.; and Moskopp, N. D. (2013) Inconsistent XML as a Barrier to Reuse of Open Access Content. In: Journal Article Tag Suite Conference (JATS-Con) Proceedings 2013.