More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
BotMultichillT 05:41, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Corps of Staff Cadets Unit Colour Patch.jpg is uncategorized since 22 February 2009. BotMultichillT 05:41, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:2 7 Cav Cdo Regt Unit Colour Patch 2.JPG is uncategorized since 1 March 2009. BotMultichillT 05:41, 2 March 2009 (UTC)
- Image:2nd 9th Battalion AIF UCP.PNG was uncategorized on 17 October 2009.
Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have granted autopatrol rights to your account; the reason for this is that I believe you are sufficiently trustworthy and experienced to have your contributions automatically sighted. This will have no effect on your editing, and is simply intended to help users watching Recent changes or Recent uploads to find unproductive edits amidst the productive ones. Thank you. Bidgee (talk) 09:26, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
|File:US Marines at Talasea on New Britain 1944 (USMC-M-NBrit-p159).jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Image without licenseEdit
- Describe what it is about in a short sentence. (What does the image show?)
- State the author and the date of creation. If you made it yourself, say so explicitly. If it is from another Wikimedia user, link to the person's local user page. Best to use CommonsHelper.
- If you did not create the file yourself, state the source you got it from.
- Add a copyright tag - images without an appropriate license tag will be deleted.
- Add the image to one or more gallery pages and/or appropriate categories, so it can be found by others. To find out where an image belongs, you can use CommonsSense.
If you copied the file from another wiki, please copy all information given there and say who uploaded it to that wiki. Use CommonsHelper.
You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file.
Please add as much information as possible. If there is not sufficient information, the file may have to be deleted. For more information, follow the Commons:First steps guide. If you need help or have questions, please ask at the Help desk.Thank you.
This message was added automatically by MifterBot (Talk • Contribs • Owner), if you need some help about it, please read the text above again and follow the links in it, if you still need help ask at the ->Commons:Help desk in any language you like to use. --MifterBot (Talk • Contribs • Owner) 05:34, 18 February 2018 (UTC)