Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
-- 19:51, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Skanstorget, Göteborg.jpg was uncategorized on 3 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:59, 4 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Kommendansängen.jpg was uncategorized on 5 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:01, 6 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Allhelgonakyrkan - Lund.jpg was uncategorized on 28 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 17:31, 29 September 2011 (UTC)
E-post / Wiki Loves MonumentsEdit
Tack för de bilder du har laddat upp i samband med Wiki Loves Monuments tävlingen. För att du ska kunna vinna priser i tävlingen krävs dock att du i dina inställningar har angivit en e-post adress samt se till att "Tillåt e-post från andra användare" är förkryssat. Om du sällan är inne på ditt konto kan det även vara bra att kryssa för "Skicka e-post till mig när något händer på min diskussionssida", på så sätt får du lätt reda på om någon vill kontakta dig angående en bild. Hälsningar /Lokal_Profil 16:52, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Monuments 2011 has finishedEdit
Thank you for contributing to Wiki Loves Monuments and sharing your pictures with the whole world. You are very welcome to keep uploading images, even though you can't win prizes any longer. To get started on editing relevant Wikipedia articles, click here for more information and help.
- Message delivered by Lucia Bot in 22:28, 17 October 2011 (UTC)
Thank you for participating in Wiki Loves Monuments 2012!
Thanks to the participation of people like you, the contest gathered more than 350,000 pictures of cultural heritage objects from 36 countries around the world, becoming the largest photography competition to have ever taken place.
You can find all your pictures in your upload log, and are of course very welcome to keep uploading images and help develop Wikimedia Commons, even though you will not be able to win more prizes (just yet).
If you'd like to start editing relevant Wikipedia articles and share your knowledge with other people, please go to the Wikipedia Welcome page for more information, guidance, and help.
To make future contests even more successful than this year, we would like to invite you to share your experiences with us in a short survey. Please fill in this short survey in your own language, and help us learn what you liked and didn't like about Wiki Loves Monuments 2012.
- Message delivered by the Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 notification system on 10:25, 27 October 2012 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Public Art about to take off!
Have a look at the lists of objects included, and of participating GLAMs in your country, and upload as many images as you can.
- Message delivered by odderBot on 13:50, 6 May 2013 (UTC)