Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
TUSC token feb9645a6260aa8ce5c81b5e5644e61dEdit
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Why did you merge Category:Crosseye-view stereo images into Category:Parallel-view stereo images, when the two types of images are not the same thing at all? --Carnildo (talk) 22:30, 23 August 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry about that, you are absolutely right that they are two different things. Thanks for pointing it out and cleaning up after my sloppy merge. Shame on me ;/ By the way, I'm not 100% certain, but isn't File:Maruyama-Senmaida Stereogram.jpg a crosseye-view image as well? jonkerz♠ 12:54, 24 August 2010 (UTC)
File source is not properly indicated: File:Juwangsan national park canyon.jpgEdit
|This media may be deleted.|
A file that you have uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, File:Juwangsan national park canyon.jpg, is missing information about where it comes from or who created it, which is needed to verify its copyright status. Please edit the file description and add the missing information, or the file may be deleted.
If you created the content yourself, enter
If someone else created the content, or if it is based on someone else's work, the source should be the address to the web page where you found it, the name and ISBN of the book you scanned it from, or similar. You should also name the author, provide verifiable information to show that the content is in the public domain or has been published under a free license by its author, and add an appropriate template identifying the public domain or licensing status, if you have not already done so.Please add the required information for this and other files you have uploaded before adding more files. If you need assistance, please ask at the help desk. Thank you!
— Tanvir 11:20, 20 September 2010 (UTC)
Please don't categorize images to category:Lenin Mausoleum simply because the thing appears in the picture. General views of Red Square belong to parent category Red Square alone. If the mausoleum is, indeed, the main subject, the photo must be deleted due do commons:Freedom of panorama and (most unfortunate) prior precedents.
And, by the way, File:Победа.jpg has no relation to the Mausoleum whatsoever. Contrary to what the description says, it shows a completely different place - the southern end of the square, between Spassky gates (visible in background) and Ilyinka Street. To get to the mausoleum, the soldiers had to march some 120 meters NW, turn to SW and march another 20-30 meters to reach their destination. NVO (talk) 19:18, 5 June 2011 (UTC)
Why did you delete this category?Edit
File:TexoloWaterfallsByPhilKonstantin.jpg (Difference between revisions) Revision as of 15:06, 22 September 2011 (edit) Jonkerz (talk | contribs) m (removed Category:Mexico using HotCat) ← Older edit
Latest revision as of 15:07, 22 September 2011 (edit) (undo) Jonkerz (talk | contribs) m (removed Category:Waterfalls by continent using HotCat)
User:Philkon 12:54, 23 September 2011 (UTC) Added signature.
- Because it is over-categorization.
- Category:Waterfalls in Mexico is included in Category:Waterfalls in North America which is included in Category:Waterfalls by continent (if you browse this category you can see that the description is saying "This meta category should only contain other categories. Files should either be in the relevant subcategory or in the parent category.") So they are reduntant to the most specific category. The same is true for Category:Mexico, because both Category:Veracruz and Category:Waterfalls in Mexico will eventually lead up to that one. In short: they are still placed in those categories, but only indirectly to make it easier to browse. I hope this explaination made sense, jonkerz♠ 13:59, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- See for example, Category:Star Trek: The Next Generation. -- Cirt (talk) 06:08, 24 April 2013 (UTC)
re re Categories re also, reEdit
It makes it harder to find relevant photos (actors' photos can be found easily by other means). But if readers find it useful, why not? Commons is not WP after all, and non-English speakers may find it helpful since they cannot find photos as easily by browsing ENWP. So.. no CFD =) What I initially objected to was the link from the Fuck article, because linking Commons should mean that there is content about the film to be found here, now readers will only find photos of staff/interviewees not directly related to the article, and these can all be found by browsing ENWP anyway. A Commons page with captioned portraits of the staff/interviewees would be very nice though, and as a bonus, editors like me couldn't complain about over categorization =) jonkerz ♠talk 05:48, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
- Done, very good suggestion, thank you! I've gone ahead and created such a page, at Fuck (film). -- Cirt (talk) 20:12, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
thanks for noticing. Im sort of on a coffee and chocolate run. Theres a bit more to do with coffee subcategories. Ive also done some of this on wikipedia. its nice to be acknowledged.Mercurywoodrose (talk) 14:39, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
|Hello, Jonkerz. You have new messages at ww2censor's talk page.|
Category:Santa Cruz de TenerifeEdit
Thank you for organizing the Category:Santa Cruz de Tenerife. It`s a job I always thought it should be done – but never did it myself. But – as you (I think) don´t know the place – there are some (for me unimportant) errors:
File:Plaza Iglesia 02.jpg That cross had been in Plaza Candelaria in former times, it is now in the Plaza de la Iglesia. It could fit in the “Category:Church of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción, Santa Cruz de Tenerife” for it is situated just at the backside of this church.
File:Puerto Martianez 01.jpg I added the category RI-52-0000077 that is the oficial spanish number of that place as “Bien de Interés Cultural”. Perhaps the Category:César Manrique should be added too.
- Hi Koppchen! Thank you for your message and for uploading all these photos. I've never been to Santa Cruz, except for travelling the place on Google Maps =)
- File:Plaza Iglesia 02.jpg: here I only removed the parent category, Category:Santa Cruz de Tenerife. If the monument or plaza belongs to Iglesia de la Concepción, I too think Category:Church of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción, Santa Cruz de Tenerife could be added.
- File:Puerto Martianez 01.jpg: actually, this photo is already categorized in Category:César Manrique through its parent Category:Lago Martiánez.
- For Category:Monumento a Su Excelencia el Jefe del Estado I used the name from the eswp article, but I'd be ok with renaming this category.
- If you find that I've miscategorized anything, or do not agree with category names or categorization etc, feel free to change it directly without notifying me, I'll notice it in the watchlist. Also, thank you for your kind words, cheers, jonkerz ♠talk 17:35, 13 May 2013 (UTC)
Your VFC installation method is deprecatedEdit
Hello Jonkerz, we are aware that using the old installation method of VFC (via common.js, which you are using) may not work reliably anymore and can break other scripts as well. A detailed explanation can be found here. Important: To prevent problems please remove the old VFC installation code from your common.js and instead in your preferences. Thanks! --VFC devs (q) 16:23, 22 May 2017 (UTC)