Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
BotMultichillT 06:11, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Summerland remains.jpg is uncategorized since 11 March 2009. BotMultichillT 06:11, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Castellas vue du Nord.jpg was uncategorized on 26 October 2009.
- Image:Cartella-Man.jpg was uncategorized on 5 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:53, 6 November 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Essai1 malost.svg was uncategorized on 13 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:56, 14 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Boaz Myhill.jpg was uncategorized on 18 March 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:51, 19 March 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Darren deadman.jpg was uncategorized on 26 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 18:24, 27 October 2011 (UTC)
Hallo Malost, is it possible for you to upload the single pictures of File:Musee_Granet_by_Malost.jpg? Your stitching is not done well and we could redo it. Best just upload all to one file name: upload the first pic, then all following pics by using "upload a new file version" on the file's page. Cheers --Saibo (Δ) 21:22, 14 February 2011 (UTC)
- Hello Saibo. Thank you for your message. I know this picture wasn't stitched well. I did it a bit too fast through Photoshop and the original picture deserved to be improved. I did'nt understand very well what you said to me. Do you ask to upload the original picture so that you can improve it ? I can do it. Cheers. Malost (talk) 10:57, 15 February 2011 (UTC)
- Hi again, thanks for your reply! Yes, I (respectivly the guys at dewp photo workshop) want to improve it. So it would be great if you could upload the original pictures.
- I just meant to upload them under one single file name. Like it was done here: File:Lindenstumpf,_Einzelbilder.jpg. Cheers --Saibo (Δ) 12:35, 15 February 2011 (UTC)
- Or, maybe even better: Just use "upload a new version" at your current file: click here once for every single original image. When you've uploaded all original images just revert to the first file version. Cheers --Saibo (Δ) 14:15, 15 February 2011 (UTC)
Thanks and sorry - we did confuse your retouching attempt with a bad stitching. Therefore you did not understand my first question
Hôtel Ripert de Monclar on the Rue Roux-AlphéranEdit
Hello. Could you please take a picture of the Hôtel Ripert de Monclar on the Rue Roux-Alphéran in Aix? I'd like to add it to my page of Jean-Pierre-François de Ripert-Monclar on wikipedia. I wonder if this man also lived there btw. Thanks.Zigzig20s (talk) 10:45, 11 December 2013 (UTC)