More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:USCGC Mobile Bay.jpg is uncategorized since 16 December 2008. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:06, 17 December 2008 (UTC)
- Image:USCGC Penobscot Bay.jpg is uncategorized since 17 December 2008. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:02, 18 December 2008 (UTC)
- Image:USCGC Sturgeon Bay.jpg is uncategorized since 17 December 2008. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:02, 18 December 2008 (UTC)
- Image:Spider Island Tagging.JPG was uncategorized on 11 October 2009.
Bush portrait deletionEdit
I've recently posted some new info about the Bush portrait being up for deletion at Commons:Deletion requests/File:President George W. Bush, 2008, Oil on canvas by Robert A. Anderson.jpg. Here's the short version: The current image seems to be copyrighted and the White House portraits seem to be owned by the White House Historical Association. Hope this helps. Hoshie (talk) 03:13, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
2010 Haiti earthquake uploadsEdit
I created a category, Category:2010 Haiti earthquake relief efforts, in order to help sort images related to the earthquake and would like to bring it to your attention.
Also, I noticed that you're not uploading the full size versions of the Coast Guard images and am just curious about that. --BrokenSphere 06:09, 14 January 2010 (UTC)
Picture of the Year voting round 1 openEdit
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee