Hi. I'm sorry if other users were somewhat terse with you when nominating your images for deletion, and I understand that you uploaded them from flickr in the best of faith. However, what you have encountered is known as "flickrwashing" - people on flickr upload non-free images under a free licence, either through ignorance or malice. We cannot host these images, as they are not free images - the flickr user cannot release rights if they don't own the rights to begin with. I'm afraid this happens quite a lot - flickr users are, on the whole, utterly ignorant of copyright laws. Please do not be disheartened by these deletions, as they are not a damnation of you, but of the flickr user. Thankyou. -mattbuck (Talk) 16:28, 16 August 2008 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Turpan Depression, nestled at the foot of China’s Bogda Mountains.jpg was uncategorized on 20 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Devonshirecharac00bariuoft.djvu was uncategorized on 26 August 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:33, 27 August 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Devonshire Characters and Strange Events.djvu was uncategorized on 27 August 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:50, 28 August 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Page42-Picturesque New Zealand, 1913..jpg was uncategorized on 4 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 5 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Page42-Picturesque New Zealand, 1913..jpg was uncategorized on 5 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Page 224-cutting steps on ice face, tasman glacier.jpg was uncategorized on 7 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:50, 8 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Page77-791px-Picturesque New Zealand, 1913.djvu (2).jpg was uncategorized on 7 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:50, 8 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Women's canoe hurdle.jpg was uncategorized on 9 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:51, 10 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Pade 232 - mount sefton and the footstool.jpg was uncategorized on 11 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:56, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Page4-1000px-Stickeen-John Muir.djvu.jpg was uncategorized on 5 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 17:24, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Page 267-cruiseofcorwin.jpg was uncategorized on 26 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:37, 27 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Page 293-cruiseofcorwin.jpg was uncategorized on 26 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:37, 27 July 2011 (UTC)
File tagging File:Blue-man-jaume-plensa.jpgEdit
|This media was probably deleted.|
Thanks for uploading File:Blue-man-jaume-plensa.jpg. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (firstname.lastname@example.org). This also applies if you are the author yourself. undeletion here, providing a link to the File-page on Commons where it was uploaded (
Hey there Mattisse, I'm here to let you know that you have been given talk page access to your account from the English Wikipedia. While your account is still indef blocked, you now are able to request terms that could result in your ability to edit there again :)--White Shadows (talk) 01:17, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
This message was added automatically by Nikbot, if you need some help about it please read the text above again and follow the links in it, if you still need help ask at the → Commons:Help desk in any language you like to use. --Nikbot 16:39, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
File:Page4-Stickeen-John Muir.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
184.108.40.206 04:53, 24 February 2016 (UTC)