Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Korail Class 321000.jpg was uncategorized on 25 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:54, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Korail Class 1000.jpg was uncategorized on 25 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:54, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Seoul Metro Class 1000 VVVF.jpg was uncategorized on 25 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:54, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Sin Bundang Line train.jpg was uncategorized on 29 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:46, 30 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:R42 interior.JPG was uncategorized on 24 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:41, 25 January 2012 (UTC)
- Image:R42 4811.JPG was uncategorized on 24 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:41, 25 January 2012 (UTC)
Can You Take a Picture of the R110A?Edit
Recently saw you take a picture of the R110B at 207th Street Yard. I was wondering if you could do the same for the R110A, since it is also stored at 207th Street yard. --Davidng913 (talk) 12:23, 23 May 2017 (UTC)
- I may actually have images; I will see if I can find quality ones. -T
A barnstar for you!Edit
|The Photographer's Barnstar|
|Without you, Wikipedia would never have the best pictures of the NYC Subway. Please keep up the good work! Davidng913 (talk) 03:04, 8 June 2017 (UTC)|
Please refrain from making hefty comments as you did in the edit summaries there. Revert-warring by other editors can be a nuisance but you should contact them at their talk page and discuss the issue. And if that doesn't help you can always contact the admins. De728631 (talk) 22:36, 27 March 2018 (UTC)
> Apologies for that - this particular user has been notorious for reverts not just on here, but on Wikipedia too (almost for a year now). I guess I need to cool it off though. Mtattrain (talk) 00:31, 28 March 2018 (UTC)