Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Bd map division - wiki.svg was uncategorized on 29 March 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:55, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Jerusalem Cross.svg was uncategorized on 21 May 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:52, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Crusaders.svg was uncategorized on 21 May 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:52, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Map of fertile cresent.svg was uncategorized on 22 May 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:51, 23 May 2011 (UTC)
- Image:FlorianCross 2.svg was uncategorized on 22 May 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:51, 23 May 2011 (UTC)
- Image:FlorianCross 1.svg was uncategorized on 22 May 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:51, 23 May 2011 (UTC)
Picture of the Year 2013 R1 AnnouncementEdit
Round 1 of Picture of the Year 2013 is open!Edit
- ⧼Wikibase-terms/Nafsadh⧽: العربية, български, Deutsch, English, français, italiano, македонски, മലയാളം, 日本語, русский, svenska, اردو, 中文
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2013 Picture of the Year competition is now open. This year will be the eighth edition of the annual Wikimedia Commons photo competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their favorite images featured on Commons during the last year (2013) to produce a single Picture of the Year.
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. These images include professional animal and plant shots, breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historical images, photographs portraying the world's best architecture, impressive human portraits, and so much more.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topical categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you may vote for as many images as you like. The top 30 overall and the most popular image in each category will continue to the final. In the final round, you may vote for just one image to become the Picture of the Year.
Round 1 will end on .
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
You are receiving this message because you voted in the 2012 Picture of the Year contest.
Rasterization in SVGsEdit
I noticed that two of you recent uploads (File:Bangladesh divisions bn.svg and File:Bangladesh divisions english.svg) contain embedded raster graphics (the fillings). Could you please have a look at it, check what went wrong and re-upload with correct vector data?
- Hey! Thanks for telling. I used transparency; I guess that may have caused incurred the raster. I would try to play with color value to achieve the same affect.
- Anyway what do you think about the color scheme? Is it better or worse than before. I remember you enhanced those SVGs before. --Nafsadh (talk) 19:03, 24 October 2014 (UTC)
- Well, that's why I don't like Illustrator – it's always doing stuff like that (while actually transparency shouldn't be a problem at all in SVGs). Maybe you just need to play with the export options?
- Regarding the color scheme I definitely like it design-wise! I don't know if there might be accessibility problems because of the similar color tones (yet the previous red/green set migh have been problematic for people with red/green color blindness, too). For people with normal vision I think it's great, though. --Patrick87 (talk) 19:24, 24 October 2014 (UTC)
- I guess so. I'll try to resolve. I am even rather new in Illustrator, and I do not feel comfy with Inkscape. If you feel you can improve those files, I would greatly appreciate it and will be very thankful.
- About accessibility, I posit, there is no universal solution. --Nafsadh (talk) 19:47, 24 October 2014 (UTC)
- If you want I can just update the fill colors of my previous versions with your new colors (this won't need much effort from my side and can even be done with a Texteditor). --Patrick87 (talk) 20:46, 24 October 2014 (UTC)
I noticed that you uploaded a number of locator maps for Bangladeshs districts. Is there any color convention for these locator maps ? I have seen that you have changed the appearance of File:BD_Dhaka_District_locator_map.svg. I think it would be nice to have a unified color scheme. Do you plan to upload locator maps for the missing districts ? Greetings --Furfur (talk) 01:00, 24 January 2015 (UTC)
- I have a TODO list for the missing districts. I am following Wikipedia:WikiProject Maps/Conventions. Some of my previous uploads used "Location maps" conventions, which was not appropriate. Nafsadh (talk) 12:36, 25 January 2015 (UTC)
About Indian people collageEdit
Hi, could you replace few images of people at 1) Replace Hrithik Roshan image by adding A. P. J. Abdul Kalam at row 5 2) Replace Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis image by adding Satyajit Ray or Ravi Shankar (which ever is possible) at row 4 3) Replace Sania Mirza image by adding Asha Bhosle / Lata Mangeshkar at row 5
Changes made to the map Egypt - Location Map (2013) - EGY - UNOCHA.svgEdit
I see that you have uploaded a coloured version of the Egypt map: File:Egypt - Location Map (2013) - EGY - UNOCHA.svg several times as replacement for the uncoloured file. But by colouring, you have changed the map. It is better therefore (and in accordance with the rules) to upload the file as a complete new file to Wikimedia Commons. Regards, Wereldburger758 (talk) 10:30, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
- The SVG was converted to conform with w:en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Maps/Conventions. All UNOCHA violates every kind of conventions about images and maps. A group of contributors with interests related to UNOCHA, tries to push their own convention and branding. Moreover, to address the correctness, the UNOCHA map is not exactly accurate to begin with. Nafsadh (talk) 16:40, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
- "A group of contributors with interests related to UNOCHA"? What kind of contributors do you speak about? You mean people with political interests? I certainly am not. These are pretty basic maps and therefore valid. Whether or not they conform to specific conventions or not. Or whether or not they depict political boundaries correctly or not. Wikipedia has a strictly Neutral Point of View (NPOV). Regards, Wereldburger758 (talk) 09:34, 1 September 2016 (UTC)
Your edit of the file:Sudan - Location Map (2011) - SDN - UNOCHA.svgEdit
You edited the file: Sudan - Location Map (2011) - SDN - UNOCHA.svg. Chronus and you made several reversals. First of all, discuss your conflicts on the discussion page. In this case, your edits made a significant difference (i.e. colors and change in the map) to the original map. Therefore, I ask you to upload your edit of the original map as a new upload with its own page and title. Regards, Wereldburger758 (talk) 09:14, 1 September 2016 (UTC)