Have taken a lot of photos on a recent trip to the Corner Country of Australia. Will add them as I get time.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:George Hote Ballaratl.JPG is uncategorized since 6 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:08, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Lydiard Street South.JPG is uncategorized since 6 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:08, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Cuthberts Ballarat.JPG is uncategorized since 6 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:08, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Pratts warehouse Ballarat.JPG is uncategorized since 6 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:08, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Old sheriff court Ballarat.JPG is uncategorized since 6 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:08, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Hay gaol.JPG is uncategorized since 7 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:07, 8 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Mount Fraser panorama.jpg is uncategorized since 9 August 2009.
- Image:Antilopine wallaroo map.png was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:South Melbourne light rail.jpg was uncategorized on 4 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:32, 5 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Mallee fowl 1.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:14, 7 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Mallee fowl 2.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:14, 7 September 2011 (UTC)
TUSC token ffdf7b88fb288347f47c2c3c1fb8c3eeEdit
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Thank you for providing images to Wikimedia Commons. Please keep in mind that images and other files on Commons must be under a free license and should be useful to the Wikimedia projects. To allow others to use your files, some additional information must be given on the description page. Most importantly:
- Describe what it is about in a short sentence. (What does the image show?)
- State the author and the date of creation. If you made it yourself, say so explicitly. If it is from another Wikimedia user, link to the person's local user page. Best to use CommonsHelper.
- If you did not create the file yourself, state the source you got it from.
- Add a copyright tag - images without an appropriate license tag will be deleted.
- Add the image to one or more gallery pages and/or appropriate categories, so it can be found by others. To find out where an image belongs, you can use CommonsSense.
If you copied the file from another wiki, please copy all information given there and say who uploaded it to that wiki. Use CommonsHelper.
You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file.
Please add as much information as possible. If there is not sufficient information, the file may have to be deleted. For more information, follow the Commons:First steps guide. If you need help or have questions, please ask at the Help desk.
Queensland State Archives photosEdit
Hi, Peter! I see you too are categorising these photos. I think though you might have been following my lead in removing the category "QSA media uploaded by User:99of9 (uncategorised)" which I realise now was not what I was supposed to have been doing. I should have replaced it with the category "QSA media uploaded by User:99of9" (that is, just prune off the "(uncategorised)" part). I am going through now re-adding the category "QSA media uploaded by User:99of9" to all the photos without it, both the ones I did and the ones you did. So I thought you might like to know what was happening. Sorry if I lead you astray with my bad example. Kerry Raymond (talk) 06:29, 23 April 2013 (UTC)