Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
BotMultichillT 06:14, 14 April 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Saarlouis SGS 20090412.jpg is uncategorized since 13 April 2009.
- Image:Saarlouis Landratsamt 20090412.jpg is uncategorized since 13 April 2009.
- Image:Saarlouis Bahnhof 20090412.jpg is uncategorized since 13 April 2009.
- Image:Saarlouis Kreisbauamt 20090412.jpg is uncategorized since 13 April 2009.
- Image:Saarlouis Verwaltungsgericht 20090412.jpg is uncategorized since 13 April 2009.
- Image:Rom2005 Grab Nicolaus Cusanus.jpg is uncategorized since 13 April 2009.
- Image:Paris2005 Grab Oscar Wilde.jpg is uncategorized since 13 April 2009.
- Image:SlsFriedhofNeueWelt 20090601 Ney resized.jpg is uncategorized since 26 June 2009.
- Image:SlsFriedhofNeueWelt 20090601 Joho resized.jpg is uncategorized since 26 June 2009.
- Image:WallerfangenFriedhof 20090601 Papen02 resized.jpg is uncategorized since 26 June 2009.
- Image:SlsAlterFriedhof 20090601 Reneauld resized.jpg is uncategorized since 26 June 2009.
- Image:WallerfangenFriedhof 20090601 Papen01 resized.jpg is uncategorized since 26 June 2009.
Audi 100 2 doorEdit
Many thanks for cleaning this picture. (I was the one who uploaded it with all those specks.) You must have taken a lot of time with it. And the result is a big improvement.
I am beginning to learn how to clean up my more deserving picture for myself, but I have learned already that (1) it cannot be rushed and (2) it takes a long time.
Brutal change of subject:
Do you own a camera (well, obviously yes) and do you ever go near to Saarlouis? I translated an entry on the Ford Escort / Focus plant from French wiki. It would love a picture. So would the francophone entry, de mon avis. Probably if you go near the plant with a camera, Henry Ford will arrest you, but if you drive past on the Autobahn as a passenger with a fast shutter on a sunny day one gets the odd panoramic glimpse. (I do the drive very occasionally myself, but not yet as a passenger and always feeling pressed for time. And it always seems to be raining.) If you know the area, it might even be possible to find somewhere to stand still and get a shot without annoying Henry. Just thinking on paper, please understand...
- Hello Charles01, I'm glad to hear that my "cleaning" of the image is appreciated ;-) BTW: I'm using the clone tool of GIMP - I think it took me ten minutes or so to clean the picture (except for the windscreen). My parents did own a Audi 100 4-door built in 1979; I think it was the same color as the one on your picture (Inari silver metallic).
- Yes, from time I see the Ford plant in Saarlouis, and I have a camera... The problem is to find the right place for an impressive picture. I've already visited the production twice... I'll keep it in mind - stay tuned! Best regards, --Phrontis (talk) 09:55, 30 November 2010 (UTC)
- I hadn't meant to reply. One should not always insist upon the last word. But no, the 2 door Audi 100 along the coast from Knokke was light metallic green. Memory plays tricks of course. And the old Dias certainly fade. But I'm >99% sure it started out light metallic green. Plus I MIGHT have put some sort of anti dazzle filter on the lens which MIGHT have affected the colour ab initio.
- That metallic green seems to be a difficult colour for the film processors to handle. But here's an example of how the colour looked (on an Audi 80) in even brighter sunshine (my picture taken near Luzern), along with one from a wiki-colleague of the same colour on a rainy day apparently in or near Paris. There's also one of an old Audi 100 C2 Avant in that colour, but that was in such bright sun that the colour is not so apparent.
- As far as the slide is concerned, I do not recommend that you or I attempt to make the car greener unless you're a mega-Gimp-Fachmann. It looks so much better than it did. (But of course now the picture is in Wikikepda I assert no special right to tell anyone what to do with it.)
- I'm glad you're also in favour of a picture of the Ford Saarlouis plant. I will watch and wait for that one.
- Best wishes Charles01 (talk) 10:35, 30 November 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, this is exactly the light green of my parents' car. On the "cleaned" image, you can only guess the color when you know it. In German, it was called "inarisilber metallic". No, I'll never "correct" the color - this is difficult or maybe impossible. Once I tried to correct an image with a wrong white balance - it was impossible with jpg files, so I gave it up. Thanks for the additional images! I have also dias of the Audi 100, but no scanner to digitalize them. Best regards from Saarbrücken (25 km from the Saarlouis plant), --Phrontis (talk) 11:30, 30 November 2010 (UTC)
Finally I managed to take a picture of the Ford Plant at Saarlouis and to publish it on the article of the French WP! It is difficult to give an impression of the whole plant, you would need to take an aerial picture. I hope my work is sufficient, too. --Phrontis (talk) 19:18, 25 March 2012 (UTC)
File tagging File:MiltonFriedman.jpgEdit
|This media was probably deleted.|
Thanks for uploading File:MiltonFriedman.jpg. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (firstname.lastname@example.org). This also applies if you are the author yourself. undeletion here, providing a link to the File-page on Commons where it was uploaded (
Nevus sebaceous photoEdit
Please remove the nevus sebaceous photo from the wiki article as it is a photo of a compound nevus, not a nevus sebaceous. This photo is a gross misrepresentation. Thanks.
File:Wendelin Plastikfigur.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may also find Commons:Copyright rules useful, or you can ask questions about Commons policies at the Commons:Help desk. blocked from editing.
- You're right. Please delete both files (I thought that only an own drawing of a cartoon figure would be not acceptable, but now I know better). --Phrontis (talk) 18:10, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
Askania AP XIIEdit
Hallo Phrontis, ist dir bekannt wo diese Aufnahme entstanden ist?
Thanks for your contributions! I would like to ask you permission to reproduce your akathisia video on an antipsychotics video lecture. I am a bit confused about how to better describe its use. I would embed the video on a slide describing neurological side effects of aripiprazole, the mini video is freely distributed through YouTube. The problem is that the same video will also be part of a paid e-course. I'm very interested in providing this video to healthcare professionals, akathisia is sometimes hard to understand if you haven't seen it. Thanks for your time.
Flavio Guzman, MD
- Hi Flavio, thanks for your request. You can use my video for all above mentioned purposes (even for a paid e-course) provided 1) you name me (author „Phrontis at Wikimedia Commons“) and 2) refer to the license "Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0". I think the easiest way is to use a short subtitle for this purpose. I'm glad if my video can help healthcare professionals to understand a disease! Have a nice day, --Phrontis (talk) 18:30, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
This message was added automatically by Nikbot, if you need some help about it please read the text above again and follow the links in it, if you still need help ask at the → Commons:Help desk in any language you like to use. --Nikbot 19:01, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
in our new schoolbook „HOGA Gesamtband Köche” we want to publish a photo from you. We found it on the following homepage http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:SilberPunze90g.jpg&filetimestamp=20101227220523.
We need the picture as highres data in 300 dpi for 10 cm. Do you have the picture in this highres Data and may send me the data per email? And do you give us the permission for publishing ? My email: email@example.com
Thank you very much for your help in advance!
Bildungshaus Schulbuchverlage Westermann Schroedel Diesterweg Schöningh Winklers GmbH Bildredaktion Georg-Westermann-Allee 66 38104 Braunschweig Tel: 0531-708298 Fax: 0531-7088535 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Geschäftsführer: Ulrike Jürgens, Thomas Michael, Dr. Peter Schell Amtsgericht Braunschweig - HRB 9572
Display-Sprache bei Junghans RC alarm1Edit
Hallo Phrontis, weißt du vielleicht, ob man die Sprache der Wochentagsanzeige bei der Junghans RC alarm 1 ändern kann? Auf meiner „Junghans Mega alarm 1“, die ansonsten genau so aussieht, werden englische Wochentage angezeigt, ich glaube aber, dass es bis vor kurzem deutsche Kürzel waren. – 126.96.36.199 00:12, 18 November 2012 (UTC)
- Ist mir nicht bekannt. Ich werde aber versuchen, einen Blick in die Bedienungsanleitung zu werfen (das kann aber eine Weile dauern). --Phrontis (talk) 14:18, 19 November 2012 (UTC)
- Das wär super. Hat keine Eile. Danke :-) – 188.8.131.52 21:19, 23 November 2012 (UTC)
Sehr geherte Damen Sehr geehrte Herren
Im Internet hab ich gesehen, dass Sie einen Electr. Digitalwecker verkaufen, gerne hätte ich angaben wo ich diesen Wecker in der Schweiz kaufen kann oder ob ich einen solchen durch Sie beziehen kann.
Gerne erwarte ich eine Antwort
Oswald Lühy Pflanzerbachstrasse 8 CH 8967 Widen Tel. 056 - 633 22 23 Fax 056 - 633 22 01
Besten Dank für Ihre Bemühungen
Notification about possible deletionEdit
wir sind ein Fachverlag, der u.a. Spiele zur Aktivierung demenzkranker Menschen herausgibt.
Für das neueste Projekt zum Thema „Alte Begriffe“ hat unsere Autorin ein Bildmotiv zum Thema „Gehaltstüte“ (Dateiname: GehaltstueteBeamter1940) hier bei Wikimedia Commons herausgesucht.
Können Sie uns hierzu druckfähige Daten (300 dpi) zukommen lassen? Können wir bei Ihnen dazu eine Abdruckgehmigung erhalten?
Freue mich zeitnah von Ihnen zu hören.
Mit herzlichen Grüßen aus dem Verlagshaus in Hannover
Andrea Hübener-Fietje Lektoratsassistenz Verlagsbereich Altenhilfe Vincentz Network GmbH & Co.KG
Plathnerstraße 4c | 30175 Hannover T +49 511 9910-195 | F +49 511 9910-196 email@example.com | www.vincentz.net
www.haeusliche-pflege.net www.altenheim.net www.altenpflege-online.net
Hello, I would like to know if it's possible to purchase a photo you uploaded to Wikipedia under creative common attribution license. The photo I'm talking about is here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VirtuellesStudio_Greenbox.jpg
I'm looking for a license which would let me use the photo in commercial way but without attribution. Let me know if it is possible and if so name the price.
Have a good day ☺️