More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Salem Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 27 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:23, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Franklin Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 27 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:23, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Harrisbarretschool.jpg was uncategorized on 27 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:23, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Five Points Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 30 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:24, 31 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Lanett Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 30 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:24, 31 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Ft Cusseta.jpg was uncategorized on 30 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:24, 31 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Cusseta Alabama.jpg was uncategorized on 30 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:24, 31 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:West Point Georgia Downtown.JPG was uncategorized on 30 January 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:24, 31 January 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Old280Boogie2010.JPG was uncategorized on 3 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:10, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Lineville Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 3 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:10, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:New Site Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 3 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:10, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Goldville Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 3 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:10, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Beauregard Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 9 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 14:37, 10 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Lee Country Lake Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 9 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 14:37, 10 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Louina Alabama.JPG was uncategorized on 9 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 14:37, 10 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Robert Wilton Burton House Historic Marker1.JPG was uncategorized on 13 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:58, 14 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:UserSaveRiversCard1.jpg was uncategorized on 22 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:01, 23 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:UserSaveRiversCard.jpg was uncategorized on 22 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:01, 23 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SaveRiversTag.jpg was uncategorized on 18 August 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:15, 19 August 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for taking a photo of the Department of Corrections Building!
If you are interested in two more Montgomery, AL area photo requests:
- Would you mind photographing
the entrance to Montgomery, Alabama Airport?
- See if you can photograph
the sign of the entrance to the Mount Meigs Campus of the Alabama Department of Youth Services- It is at 1000 Industrial School Road Mt. Meigs, AL 36057
If you want another, why not the following:
Entrance sign to the Kilby Correctional Facility- 12201 Wares Ferry Road Montgomery, AL 36117
Flickr license & File:Dr. Andrew McLain Office & Drug Store Salem Alabama.jpgEdit
The license is 'All Rights Reserved' which is not acceptable here.
File:Dr. Andrew McLain Office & Drug Store Salem Alabama.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may also find Commons:Copyright rules useful, or you can ask questions about Commons policies at the Commons:Help desk.
The file you added may soon be deleted. If you believe this file is not a copyright violation, you may replace the copyvio tag with a regular deletion request.Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
- Okay, I messaged the author of the File:Dr. Andrew McLain Office & Drug Store Salem Alabama.jpg image - she agreed to relicense it so Wikipedia can use it.
- Next time, please make sure the images you upload from Flickr have compatible licenses.
- Thanks, WhisperToMe (talk) 03:59, 3 March 2011 (UTC)
Photo requests in AuburnEdit
If you want to take more photos:
For stuff in Auburn and Auburn area:
Post office - 300 OPELIKA RD AUBURN, AL Auburn Public Library: 749 East Thach, Auburn, AL 36830 Auburn Police Department and Auburn Public Safety Department: 161 North Ross Street, Auburn en:Auburn City Schools administration: 855 E Samford Avenue | Auburn, AL 36830 Lee County Sheriff: 1900 Frederick Road, Opelika
- en:Lee County Schools (Alabama) administration: 100 South 6th Street, Opelika, AL 36804
Auburn High School: 405 South Dean Road ● Auburn, AL 36830 Auburn Junior High School: 332 East Samford Avenue Auburn, Alabama 36830 J. F. Drake Middle School: 655 SPENCER AVE. AUBURN, AL 36832
Cary Woods Elementary School: 715 Sanders Street Auburn, Alabama 36830 Dean Road Elementary School: 335 South Dean Road Auburn, Alabama 36830 Ogletree Elementary School: 737 Ogletree Road Auburn, AL 36830 Richland Elementary School: 770 Yarbrough Farms Boulevard Auburn, Alabama 36832 Wrights Mill Elementary: 807 Wrights Mill Road - Auburn, Alabama 36830 Yarbrough Elementary: 1555 N. Donahue Dr. Auburn, AL 36830
- Auburn Early Education Center: 721 E. University Drive Auburn, Alabama 36830
Additional photo requests in other areas (AL and GA)Edit
For things the Montgomery, AL area:
Alabama State Department of Education - 50 North Ripley Street Montgomery, Alabama 36104 Montgomery, AL Main Library - 245 High St. Montgomery, AL 36104 Mount Meigs Post Office - 100 OLD PIKE RD MOUNT MEIGS, AL
- Pike Road Post Office - 1320 PIKE RD PIKE ROAD, AL
Pike Road Branch Library - 9585 Vaughn Road Pike Rd, AL 36064 Georgia Washington Middle School - 696 Georgia Washington Road Pike Road , AL 36064 Montgomery Public Schools headquarters - 307 S. Decatur Street Montgomery, AL 36104
One other thing I forgot - Is Wetumpka, AL convenient for you?
If so, the Julia Tutwiler Prison is there, at 8966 US Hwy 231 N Wetumpka, AL 36092 - See Google Maps image
Would it be alright if you photographed the front entrance?
If you want to take more photos in Wetumpka, you could try:
Wetumpka City Hall - 212 S. Main Street | Wetumpka, AL 36092-27485 Wetumpka Post Office - 216 W FORT TOULOUSE RD WETUMPKA, AL
If you want something in Columbus, GA, you could try:
- Muscogee Youth Development Campus (state juvenile facility) - 7700-A Chattsworth Road, Midland, GA 31820 (See map image)
BTW, the category for Montgomery, AL and Montgomery County, AL schools is at Category:Montgomery Public Schools - Category:Montgomery County Public Schools is of a school district in Maryland - I moved all of the schools in Alabama to "Montgomery Public Schools" - Again, thank you very much for the photos :) WhisperToMe (talk) 03:32, 20 March 2011 (UTC)
More photos in Opelika, and one thing about Escambia Co.Edit
If you want more photos to take, here are some places in Opelika:
Opelika City Hall - 204 South 7th Street Opelika, AL 36801 Opelika Post Office - 500 S 7TH ST, OPELIKA, AL en:Opelika City Schools offices: 300 SIMMONS STREET OPELIKA, AL 36803-2469
- If it hasn't been already taken: en:Lee County Schools (Alabama) administration: 100 South 6th Street, Opelika, AL 36804 (I CANNOT FIND THIS BUILDING!)
en:Southern Union State Community College branch: 1701 LaFayette Parkway Opelika, AL 36801 en:Opelika High School - 1700 Lafayette Parkway, Opelika Opelika Middle School - 1206 Denson Drive Opelika, AL 36801 Morris Avenue Int - 8 Morris Avenue Opelika, AL 36801 Northside Int - 601 North 5th Avenue Opelika, AL 36801 West Forest Int - 2801 Waverly Parkway Opelika, AL 36801 Carver Primary - 307 Carver Avenue Opelika, AL 36801 Jeter Primary - 700 Jeter Avenue Opelika, AL 36801 Southview Primary - 2712 Marvin Parkway Opelika, AL 36801
BTW, I don't know how often you go to or through Escambia County, Alabama (in the south of the state). If there is a time when you are in the area (maybe while driving on the way to Mobile?), there is one photo to try:
- en:Holman Correctional Facility main entrance, north of Atmore: 866 Ross Road, Atmore, AL 36503 See a Google Maps view of the entrance sign and this view
- The prison is in close proximity to Interstate 65, the route between Montgomery and Mobile
Thank you very much for the Opelika pictures!
As for Lee County Schools, I checked again and found that the school district indeed has its human resources and accounting offices at a place addressed as 100 South 6th Street, Opelika, AL. The district shows the mapquest location in this map
- Do you remember checking to see if this building is 100 South 6th Street? - I can't read the sign on the billboard, but it may not hurt to see if that building is 100 South 6th Street - If you want I could call Lee County Schools and ask at what intersection the accounting/HR office is at
Lee County Schools has its superintendent in a separate building, at 2410 Society Hill Road Opelika, AL 36804. Their mapquest map is here.
I once went out to the Houston suburbs to find a Pakistani consulate along Jones Road. I became surprised when I went up and down Jones Road and couldn't find it! I later found out that it was actually a little bit off of Jones Road, at this location. The good news is I eventually got the photo, and it's on here now :)
Hi Rivers! Do you want to do more photo requests?
If so, I have the:
Red Eagle Work Center (formerly Honor Farm) entrances: 1290 Red Eagle Road Montgomery, AL 36110
A glass of milkEdit
|A glass of milk|
|For your photo contribs, especially NRHP sites. Thanks! :) Ebyabe (talk) 18:48, 28 August 2011 (UTC)|
More thanks for photos, and a bit about categoriesEdit
Continued gratitude for taking and uploading pictures of NRHP sites. It's fun seeing these historic places, ain't it? Though also a bit sad, when you run across ones like this old train depot. I've run across more than a few like that in my travels. You take the sad with the good though.
On categories, you needn't add parent categories. For example, if a site is in "Category:National Register of Historic Places in Randolph County, Alabama", it doesn't have to be in "Category:National Register of Historic Places in Alabama" and "Category:National Register of Historic Places" as well. Anyhoo, keep up the good work, and enjoy the travelling. :) --Ebyabe (talk) 01:03, 17 February 2012 (UTC)
Photo request: Montgomery AcademyEdit
Hi, Rivers! It's been awhile! Is it okay if you photograph en:Montgomery Academy? It is at: 3240 Vaughn Road Montgomery, AL 36106
File:Joe Louis Statue LaFayette Alabama.JPG has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.