Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Johngalloway.png was uncategorized on 3 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:12, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Two Galloway boilers with external furnace (Steam Boilers & Boiler Accessories, 1915, p 65).png was uncategorized on 27 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:23, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Erasmus Smith 1611-1691 by John Michael Wright.jpg was uncategorized on 13 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 23:09, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Topinard nasal index.png was uncategorized on 18 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:59, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
Portrait of Erasmus SmithEdit
- The ship will be a token of his trade - he was a merchant, bringing in goods from Turkey. I am unsure about the card/paper that he is holding but, yes, it probably has some sort of symbolism. Could it perhaps represent the Royal Charter that his eponymous trust received for schooling in Ireland? It does not seem "flamboyant" enough for that. Maybe a bill of exchange? - Sitush (talk) 19:53, 13 November 2011 (UTC)
Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have granted autopatrol rights to your account; the reason for this is that I believe you are sufficiently trustworthy and experienced to have your contributions automatically sighted. This will have no effect on your editing, and is simply intended to help users watching Recent changes or Recent uploads to find unproductive edits amidst the productive ones. Thank you. INeverCry 03:08, 16 December 2012 (UTC)
Biased against Jat people ?Edit
Dear your edits and deletions are indicator that you seem to be biased against Jat people. I could not understand reasons why ? 126.96.36.199
Hello Sitush, I'm Anup. I'm apparently new to Commons and its policies. Thought, I'll ask you assist to solve my confusion. Okay it is, Is it allowed to upload a personal image on Commons and link it within some Wikipedia article. Is there some policy/guideline to determine if it is the user's personal image or a random image? For example, File:Group_playing_Holi.jpg, File:Ceaholi.jpg, File:Young_man_celebrating_Holi.JPG linked within en:Wiki:Holi. File:Hindu_Wedding_Bride_receiving_blessings_Delhi_India.jpg, File:Hindu_wedding_couple.jpg, File:Vinay_neha.jpg, File:Hindu_bride_at_temple,_Nepal.jpg, File:Gaye_holud.jpg, File:A_Hindu_wedding_ritual_in_progress_b.jpg, File:Hindu_Wedding.jpg, File:Meet_friends_and_family_ritual,_after_Hindu_wedding_vows,_India.jpg, File:Shy_smile_of_a_bride_in_a_Hindu_wedding.jpg, File:WeddingMoment.jpg, File:A_Hindu_wedding_ritual.jpg, File:Hindu_marriage_blessing.jpg, File:Hindu_marriage_blessing.jpg earlier linked within en:Wiki:Vivaah(now removed). I'm really curious if they comply with Wikimedia Commons policy and guidelines. AnupMehra ✈ 18:47, 4 February 2014 (UTC)
- Well, the first one cannot be transferred to Commons because we have no idea who took it - the sources is "Whats App" but there is no actual URL and therefore no means to determine the copyright status. I think that it should be deleted on Wikipedia also, although Wikipedia does have slightly different policies to Commons when it comes to copyright.
This media file is NOT missing evidence of permission. It is released under CC-BY-SA which is noted in the source and recorded in the file description. Jan Arkesteijn (talk) 21:34, 20 March 2014 (UTC)
Your speedy requestsEdit
Your requests do not meet the requirements of Commons:Criteria for speedy deletion.
Per the process, "Appeal: If you think that the file does not meet the criteria for speedy deletion, please explain why on its talk page and remove this tag." I have added explanation on the talk page. I have removed the tag.
Hi, I overlooked a message you sent to my talk page. You are right, so I created this DR. You may also want to see Commons:Deletion requests/Files uploaded by Indiaresists. Regards, Yann (talk) 12:10, 5 January 2015 (UTC)
I noticed that you just tagged this file, which was copyrighted to PTI, for deletion. The same user has also uploaded this file, which was taken from here. So, can you tag it for deletion? - NitinMlk (talk) 16:00, 16 July 2016 (UTC)
May i know why did you deleted Vaniya page? They are a community in North malabar (Eventhough migrated Baniyas from sourashtra almost more than 1500 yeara ago)They have unique customs such like their own temples,theyyam(They have 108 temples in north kerala) and now they are assimiliated in to large Nair group. Merging if Vaniya and North indian Baniya dosen't make a sense! Please stop playing Uncle sam using your administative power Thankyou
File:Section of Crawford's map of the White Mountains of New Hampshire from original surveys by Geo. T. Crawford.jpgEdit
File:Section of Crawford's map of the White Mountains of New Hampshire from original surveys by Geo. T. Crawford.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
No source fly-by taggingEdit
Please desist from unnecessary "fly-by" tagging of images with "no source". Tagging images like File:Flag of Jhalawar.svg with "no source" when they are marked as "own work" is improper and a misuse of the tools. Thanks --Fæ (talk) 08:14, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
- @Fæ: Really? Where did it come from? Do youj have any idea how many fictitious Indian flags there have been? Do Commons admins give a flying fuck? Please desist from being an idiot. - Sitush (talk) 08:45, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
- And stop claiming it is "fly-by". That is utter bollocks, as you should know from your past involvement at en-WP, where you will have seen my areas of interest. - Sitush (talk) 08:48, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
- Ah, having trawled through your contribution history I now see what you mean, I think. You are saying that nominating them for deletion is a valid process but doing the tagging isn't because they would be out of copyright and thus sourcing does not matter in that context. Why didn't you say that instead of assuming that we're all familiar with the procedural intricacies of this horrendous place? That said, I still do not understand your comments at the various deletion discussions that you opened thereafter. Are you suggesting that they should be kept, deleted or what? - Sitush (talk) 08:59, 30 May 2018 (UTC)
- Calming down now, sorry. I think you need to brush up on your communication skills, though. If you had explained or even linked to the relevant policy/guidance then that would have helped. So would a comment that you had initiated deletion discussions, not to mention greater clarity of expression in those discussions. Finally, the ABF about fly-by was pretty atrocious - you had clearly not looked at my history. - Sitush (talk) 10:29, 30 May 2018 (UTC)