Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
File:NT100-2000.png has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Notification about possible deletionEdit
Some contents have been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether they should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at their entry.
If you created these pages, please note that the fact that they have been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with them, such as a copyright issue.
Update request for the map File:Capital not largest city.svgEdit
Can you remove Syria from the map File:Capital not largest city.svg which you updated in 2016, because Aleppo's population has collapsed with the Syrian civil war and declined to 250,000-300,000 down from 2,300,000 before the civil war. See sources and news reports.
Thank you 184.108.40.206 21:20, 17 November 2016 (UTC)
Can you please add Italy to the map, because Milan urban and metro area is larger than Rome. Thanks
Taiwan Election MapsEdit
I am so delighted to see your great work on the Taiwan election maps. You have gone above and beyond in expanding the content of the maps previously uploaded. To make the maps even better I have a few suggestions:
- Keep the boxes around Matsu and Kinmen (e.g. Taiwan Legislative Election 2001 constituencies) (and a box for Wuqiu within Kinmen (e.g. Taiwan Legislative Election 2012 constituencies)) as insets because they are not usually placed geographically to-scale on most maps.
- Some insets are probably unneeded, such as the Central West District in Tainan municipal elections (e.g. Tainan municipal election 2010), as it is only one district and could still be seen in its original size.
- I would suggest varying the boundary weights (e.g. Taiwan National Assembly Election 1996) to distinguish between constituency lines and administrative lines.
- The constituency names need to be updated to reflect the 2010 status change for certain cities/counties.
- Qijin, Kaohsiung City, and Waisandingzhou, Yunlin (and possibly other outlying islands) would have to be double-checked.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing these upgrades showing up in many Wikipedias!
- Distinct constituency and administrative lines I don't think is necessary, since in legislative maps, only constituencies are relevant.
- Constituency names I noted in the description that they are 2016 names. This is partly laziness and partly because it is easier to compare.
- If you spot errors, please point out specifically which map so I can check. Szqecs (talk) 07:36, 19 September 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for the response! I also have a few further opinions on your points:
- I still think distinguishing administrative lines is important because it is an economical way of adding information to the map (just like adding vote share to the map, which one can argue is irrelevant if only what party is elected is relevant). In addition, (though this is a personal preference) using thinner line weights would perhaps be more aesthetically pleasing and ease strain on the viewer.
- Regarding constituency names I would argue needs to be relevant to the election itself. For example, in the 2020 LY election borders will be redrawn and there would be no way of maintaining consistency for comparison purposes.
- For the third point (and as a continuation of the first two points) I would be willing, when I have time, to go through the maps and see where I can suggest revisions, and if you allow it, to contribute as well.
Request: File:Gasoline unit.svg needs to be updatedEdit
Your File:Gasoline unit.svg needs to be updated.
For instance Jamaica, Paraguay, Falkland, Greenland, Papua New Guinea, Belgium, Latvia, Macedonia and all the African and Asian countries that are misleadingly colored in grey as having "No data" use the liter for gasoline, and need to be correctly colored in red.
Please see the article with additional sources: en:Gasoline and diesel usage and pricing
Please sign your postingsEdit
Commons:Signatures policy to sign your posts on talk pages, user talk pages, deletion requests, and noticeboards. To do so, simply add four tildes (~~~~) at the end of your comments. Your user name or IP address (if you are not logged in) and the date will then automatically be added along with a timestamp when you save your comment. Signing your comments helps people to find out who said something and provides them with a link to your user/talk page (for further discussion). Thank you.