Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
BotMultichillT 06:33, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Muffin (Hamster) 1.JPG is uncategorized since 1 July 2009.
TUSC token f4142e424b394b11c6978b6ba8e3cd77Edit
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Hay, what are you doing there with the car pictures I've taken? It's no copyright violation. There are a lot of car pictures at the commons. So please stop that action. Thanks. Best wishes -- S 400 HYBRID (talk) 22:03, 18 July 2010 (UTC)
P.S. Car pictures have the „Panoramafreiheit“ .
Okay, there are a number of issues with your files. First of all, the designs of all commercial products are the copyright of the manufacturer, unless the design has been released under a suitable license. I have read the information on the English language wikipedia regarding Panoramafreiheit and have looked at some of the sources and references and as far as I can see, it gives you absolutely NO right to publish images specifically of a copyrighted item. It simply gives photographers the right to take images of public places where copyrighted material exists. I have not been able to examine this in detail but intend to do so.
- Also, you CANNOT change the speedy deletion templates on your own images to the suggested for deletion templates. You are biased in this case and therefore it would be inappropriate to allow you to do so. I will leave them as they are since you are adamant they are not a copyright violation. --tb240904 Talk • Edits 22:52, 18 July 2010 (UTC)
I had to use Google Translate ([translate.google.com]) to find out what this says as I speak only limited German, but as far as I can see, you have pointed me towards the opinion of one editor who does not provide any reliable sources to back up their claim that such uploads are allowed by German copyright law. I'd also like to point out that, as Wikimedia's servers are located within the United States of America, it is generally the copyright laws of the USA which must be followed. From our conversation so far, I gather you are unable to speak English fluently. I have written as grammatically accurately as possible, which should allow you to translate this using Google with at least some degree of accuracy. --tb240904 Talk • Edits 23:19, 18 July 2010 (UTC)
- I understand your message also without using Google Translate (but writing a text is much more difficult because I never learned the vocabulary :D), but there are not only my car-pictures here on the commons. There are thousands, so why have you only nominated these four pictures for deletion? Furthermore there are some carpotographers in the US-Wiki uploading their pictures also here on the commons. So what do you mean, now? -- S 400 HYBRID (talk) 09:28, 19 July 2010 (UTC) P.S. Do you know any user being well-informed about uploading carpictures?
- I withdraw all of my comments regarding this matter after receiving a human translation of the evidence provided. Given this information, I am sure that, while it is unfair to the copyright owners, German law permits cars to be featured in images of public places. The deletion requests will be removed soon. --tb240904 Talk • Edits 10:45, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
File:63Building_Yeouido-dong_Seoul.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
184.108.40.206 16:13, 17 December 2010 (UTC)
File:Fudge (Hamster) 1.JPG has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.