Wiki From Above
Wiki From Above is a aerial photographic and video media competition for Wikipedia.
Wikimedia ZA will be hosting the 2nd Wiki From Above aerial photographic competition to help encourage people to contribute aerial video and photographic content to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia.
The focus of this project is to increase the quality and quantity of aerial photographs and video media of important public landmarks and scenery around the world and in Africa in particular. Participants are encouraged to also edit Wikipedia by adding their pictures, or media to relevant Wikipedia pages.
You can see the web page of the first Wiki From Above competition in 2015 here.
- 1 Winners
- 2 Date of Competition
- 3 Connect
- 4 Prizes
- 5 Wiki from Above Workshops
- 6 Details
- 7 What should I shoot?
- 8 What pages should I edit?
- 9 How to enter
- 10 Judges
- 11 Past winners
- 12 Results
The awards will be handed out at the Cape Town Maker Fair on the 27 August 2016 at the Cape Town Science Centre. The best use on Wikipedia category will be announced in November 2016.
Best use on WikipediaEdit
1st prize- Bollenvelden bij De Zilk for its use to illustrate agriculture of the Netherlands on multiple different language Wikipedias.
2nd prize - Loonse en Drunense Duinen for its use to illustrate the Nationaal Park De Loonse en Drunense Duinen article on Dutch Wikipedia.
Date of CompetitionEdit
24 April - 1 August 2016
There will be over US$800 worth of Prizes up for grabs with the following prize categories:
- Best aerial photograph - US$150
- 2nd best aerial photograph - US$100
- Best aerial video - US$250
- 2nd best aerial video - US$150
- Best use on Wikipedia - US$100
- 2nd best use on Wikipedia. - US$50
The 'Best Use on Wikipedia' prizes will be awarded for the best use of a submitted photograph or video on a Wikipedia page. This is judged by:
- the relevancy of the submitted media to the page's topic
- how much the submitted media improves the overall quality of the Wikipedia page
- additional information given about the image on both Wikimedia Commons, and the Wikipedia page
- any additional edits to the Wikipedia page that are judged to greatly enhance its overall quality
- the number of other pages the submitted media can be used on
All prizes will be given in the form of gift vouchers from Action Gear.
Wiki from Above WorkshopsEdit
We will be hosting a number of workshops in South Africa to show people how to submit their entries onto Commons, what the CC-BY-SA licence is all about and how to use their entries on Wikipedia.
Please contact Discott for more information.
- Photographs and video can be taken from on top of airplanes, drones, hot-air-balloons, helicopters, or any other type of flying craft.
- All submitted images and video content must comply with local privacy and aeronautical laws and regulations.
- All content is donated to Wikimedia Commons under a Creative Commons License (CC-BY-SA) so it can be freely used on Wikipedia and by the general public.
- When submitting a video it must be submitted as a ".ogg" or ".ogv" or ".webm" format.
- Participants are encouraged to submit video media that is less than 2 min in length, and does not contain any captains within the video itself. We want to be able to use the media on other language Wikipedia pages.
- Media with no audio or original audio is encouraged, please do not add music to the clips.
- Photographs that are very small (less than 1 megabyte) and/or that have a watermark will be penalised during the judging process. Participants are encouraged to upload images in their original size (the larger the better). Watermarked photographs are strongly discouraged.
What should I shoot?Edit
Photographs and videos of the following are most desired for use on Wikipedia:
Best things to photographEdit
The easiest things to photograph due to both their need on Wikipedia but also safety and privacy regulations are:
- Mountains, valleys, rivers, bays, cliffs and other such geological landmarks: aerial photography is particularly good at capturing these, there is also a great need for such content on Wikipedia.
- Plants and animals: awesome aerial photographs and video of these would be very useful in illustrating wildlife on Wikipedia and also tend to look spectacular.
- Keep in mind however that in South Africa all National Parks do not allow any aircraft to fly below 1500 feet above the ground level.
Other things that can be submittedEdit
These categories are also greatly needed on Wikipedia but might (depending on context) be more difficult to capture due to recently imposed privicy and safety regulations. When taking pictures of these please be causious.
- Towns, Neighbourhoods and Settlements
- Beaches & Parks
- Important/Notable events
What pages should I edit?Edit
You can edit any pages on Wikipedia.
How to enterEdit
All entries will need to be submitted to Wikimedia Commons under the category tag "WFA 2016". See below for more detailed directions. Please feel free to contact Wikimedia ZA if you have any other questions.
Submit file in the following formats (if a video):
Due to complex intellectual property rights issues, Wikimedia Commons can not accept video content submitted in any other format. A helpful 'how to' guide on how to convert video media into these formats can be found here on Wikimedia or here if you are using VLC Media Player. It is suggested that you upload video content one video at a time.
If you are submitting a photograph, simply select the photographs you want to upload. It is suggested that you upload no more than ten photographs at a time.
Douglas is the current president of Wikimedia South Africa. He is also the organiser of the South African component of Wiki Loves Monuments, the largest photographic competition in the world, in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. He has been an editor of Wikipedia since 2006 and a member of the South African chapter of the Wikimedia volunteer society since 2011/12. He is always interested in projects that encourage more people to edit Wikipedia and contribute to Wikimedia Commons.
He currently lives in Cape Town, South Africa and in his day job works in technology, data collection, and crime reduction.
He currently lives in Acton, Massachusetts.
Fist prize winning video from the 2015 competition
84 aerial images were submitted in the 2016 Wiki From Above competition with most entries either coming from South Africa or the Netherlands. As of the 26 December 2016 (when the results in the table were pulled from the Glamorous tool) a total 49 distinct images were used on 81 different pages on Wikipedia in multiple different languages. This means that 58.33% of all submitted images were used on Wikipedia.
|Total image usages||81|
|Distinct images used||49 (58.33% of all images of category)|