Category:Cathedral of St. John (Providence, Rhode Island)

<nowiki>Cathedral of St. John; kathedraal in de Verenigde Staten</nowiki>
Cathedral of St. John 
Cathedral of St. John, Providence iv.jpg
Upload media
Instance of
LocationProvidence, Providence County, Rhode Island
Architectural style
Diocese
Architect
  • John Holden Greene
Inception
  • 1810
41° 49′ 51.8″ N, 71° 24′ 36.6″ W
Authority control
Edit infobox data on Wikidata
English: The Episcopal Cathedral of St. John at 271 North Main Street in Providence, Rhode Island was built in 1810 and was designed and built by John Holden Green in the early Gothic Revival style, replacing a smaller wooden 1722 church on the same site. A chapel by Richard Upjohn was added in 1856, and the south transept by Clifton A. Hall in 1866. The interior was remodeled by Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson in the Baroque style in 1905, and further changes were made in 1967. The Diocesan Offices next door was designed by Milman & Sturges in 1967, and changes were made to it in 1972. The church was made a seat of the Episcopalian Diocese of Rhode Island in 1929. (Source: Guide to Providence Architecture) The church closed in 2012 due to declining membership and the need for extensive renovations. Currently, the church is being repaired and renovated to become a "exhibition and reconciliation center" focusing on the trans-Atlantic slave trade. It was partially reopened in 2018. (Source: New York Times [1])

Media in category "Cathedral of St. John (Providence, Rhode Island)"

The following 21 files are in this category, out of 21 total.