|Location||San Francisco, California, United States of America|
English: The McAllister Tower at 100 McAllister Street at the corner of Leavenworth Street in the Tenderloin neighborhood of San Francisco, California, was originally designed to be the Temple Methodist Episcopal Church and the William Taylor Hotel, and was designed by Timothy L. Pflueger in the Gothic Revival style. Pflueger was fired and replaced by Lewis P. Hobart, who kept the majority of Pflueger's design, to the extent that Pflueger won a judgement afterwards. The building opened in 1930, but the church left the building in 1936, and the hotel became the Empire Hotel in 1938 after a renovation and refurbishment. During World War II and afterwards the building was bought by the U.S. government and used as offices. These moved in 1959-60 to the newly-built Phillip Burton Federal Building. In 1978, the University of California, Hastings College of the Law bought the building and converted it for use as student housing and offices. It reopened in 1981. From 1990 through 2001, the Great Hall, where the church was once located, housed the performance space of George Coates Performance Works. As of 2017, the Great Hall is unused and in need of renovation. The building is a contributing propery to the Upper Tenderloin Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Media in category "McAllister Tower"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- 100McAllister.jpg 610 × 946; 93 KB
- 2017 50 United Nations Plaza Federal Office Building from Hyde Street.jpg 4,471 × 2,420; 2.32 MB
- 2017 McAllister Tower UC Hastings College of Law from west.jpg 2,712 × 4,608; 2.73 MB
- 2017 McAllister Tower UC Hastings College of Law.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 3.23 MB
- McAllister Tower in San Francisco (TK1).JPG 3,840 × 5,760; 8.51 MB
- McAllister Tower in San Francisco (TK2).JPG 3,156 × 4,734; 10.69 MB
- TempleMethodistEpiscopalChurch-entrance.jpg 768 × 1,024; 329 KB
- UCHastings-BattleHastings1066.jpg 1,024 × 768; 348 KB