English: Spernall is a remote village 4 miles north of Alcester in the Parish of Oldberrow, Morton Bagot, and Spernall, in the Stratford on Avon District of Warwickshire, England. In 2001 it had a population of 153. It is situated on the banks of the small River Arrow, the name meaning Spera's border (of his property). Early forms of the name are Spernore. and Spernoure in the 1327 Subsidy Roll. The village consists only of the church and rectory and a few scattered farms and cottages. At some time between 1195 and 1361 the parish was largely depopulated by pestilence, so that many of the villein tenements, which had hitherto accounted for almost the whole population, came into the hands of freemen. This may well refer to the Black Death; the priest at Spernall, Nicholas atte Yate, died in 1349 and there was another institution in 1351.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► St Leonard's Church, Spernall (2 F)
Media in category "Spernall"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Bridge at Spernall - geograph.org.uk - 162951.jpg 640 × 480; 295 KB
- Oilseed Rape at Spernall - geograph.org.uk - 162961.jpg 640 × 480; 344 KB
- Plantation in Spernall - geograph.org.uk - 162965.jpg 640 × 480; 266 KB
- Spernall The Old Rectory.jpg 3,296 × 2,472; 1.84 MB