Category:Sun Building (Manhattan)
The building at 280 Broadway at the corner of Chambers Street in the Civic Center district of Manhattan, New York City was built in 1845-46 and was designed by John B. Snook in the Italiante style, the first commercial building in that style in the city. It was originally the A. T. Stewart Dry Goods Store, the first department store in the city, which had expanded over the years from Broadway and Reade Street. The 1850-51 and 1851-52 additions were designed by Trench & Snook, the one in 1872 by Frederick Schmidt. Clad in Tuckahoe marble – after 1850 supported by cast-iron on the ground floors – one of the first commercial buildings to do do, it became known as "The Marble Palace". The store moved uptown in 1862 to a new full-block building on Broadway between 9th and 10th Streets, and in 1902 added an annex between 8th and 9th Streets.
After the store moved, the building at 280 Broadway became a warehouse. In 1884 Edward D. Harris designed an addition in which two floors were added to the original five, and the building was converted into offices; in 1917 it was bought by the New York Sun newspaper, which renamed it the Sun Building.
In 1966, New York City acquired the building for what was a planned Civic Center redevelopment plan that did not come to fruition. The building was rehabilitated from 1995-2002, overseen by Beyer Blinder Belle. The city's Department of Building uses the upper floors, and the first and second floors are retail stores. The building is a designated NYC landmark. (Sources: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.), AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.) and NYC DCAS page)
Media in category "Sun Building (Manhattan)"
The following 3 files are in this category, out of 3 total.
- 280-broadway.jpg 271 KB