Torban (also teorban or Ukrainian theorbo) is a Ukrainian musical instrument that combines the features of the Baroque Lute with those of the psaltery. The Тorban differs from the more common European Bass lute known as the Theorbo in that it had additional short treble strings (known as prystrunky) strung along the treble side of the soundboard.
It appeared ca. 1700, probably influenced by the central European Theorbo and the Angelique which Cossack mercenaries would have encountered in the Thirty Years' War,... The term "torban" was often misapplied in the vernacular in western Ukraine to any instrument of the Baroque Lute type until the early 20th century.
- Torban / Kobzas / Banduras
- Theorbos / Chitarrone / Archlutes
- Two-headed lutes / German baroque lutes / Swedish lutes
- Roman Turovsky "Torban" (in "Die Laute in Europa" vol.2)
- N.Prokopenko "Kobza & Bandura" Kiev, 1977
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Sheet music for torban (20 F)
Media in category "Torban"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.