Category:Wirgman Building (Romney, West Virginia)
English: The Wirgman Building was an early 19th century Federal-style commercial and residential building located on East Main Street (U.S. Route 50) in Romney, West Virginia. Following its completion around 1825 to serve as the Romney branch office for the Bank of the Valley of Virginia, the Wirgman Building at various times served as a location for every subsequent bank established in Romney, to include the Bank of Romney and the First National Bank of Romney. During the American Civil War, the building was utilized as a military prison. For a time, the Wirgman Building's second floor housed the offices and printing plant of the Hampshire Review newspaper. By 1937, the ground floor of the Wirgman Building housed office and mercantile space, and the second floor was divided into apartments. After the Wirgman Building sustained damage in a fire in 1964, it was demolished in 1965 to make way for the construction of the new Bank of Romney headquarters building. Prior to its demolition, the Wirgman Building was photographed and documented by the National Park Service Historic American Buildings Survey in 1937.
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
An early 19th-century Federal-style commercial and residential building in Romney, West Virginia
|Instance of||military prison|
Media in category "Wirgman Building (Romney, West Virginia)"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- HABS Wirgman Building Supplementary Documentation 01.tiff 1,619 × 1,044; 1.62 MB
- HABS Wirgman Building Supplementary Documentation 02.tiff 1,619 × 1,044; 1.62 MB
- Valley Bank Building, Romney, Hampshire County, WV HABS WVA,14-ROM,1-1.tif 4,993 × 3,555; 16.93 MB
- Valley Bank Building, Romney, Hampshire County, WV HABS WVA,14-ROM,1-2.tif 3,587 × 4,993; 17.08 MB
- Valley Bank Building, Romney, Hampshire County, WV HABS WVA,14-ROM,1-3.tif 3,598 × 4,993; 17.13 MB
- Wirgman Building 172212pv.jpg 968 × 680; 114 KB
- Wirgman Building 172213pv.jpg 736 × 1,024; 81 KB
- Wirgman Building 172214pv.jpg 738 × 1,024; 124 KB
- Wirgman Building Historical Marker Romney WV 2013 07 14 01.jpg 3,648 × 2,736; 3.37 MB