Category:Young Knight in a Landscape by Carpaccio
|Vittore Carpaccio: Portrait of a Knight|
Young Knight in a Landscape
label QS:Len,"Young Knight in a Landscape"
label QS:Les,"Joven caballero en un paisaje"
label QS:Lit,"Giovane cavaliere in un paesaggio'"
label QS:Lru,"Молодой рыцарь в пейзаже"
English: one of the earliest full-length portraits in European painting
oil on canvas
|Dimensions||218.5 × 152.5 cm (86 × 60 ″)|
INV. 82 (1935.3)
-1919:Vernon-Wentworth collection, Yorkshire.
: purchased by Otto H. Kahn from Vernon-Wentworth collection, Yorkshire.
: purchased by Baron Heinrich Thyssen- Bornemisza
|Exhibition history||1963 Venice Carpaccio; 1981 Old Master Paintings from the Collection of Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza Metropolitan Museum, New York.|
1. Signature right: VICTOR CARPATHIUS / FINXIT / MDX [Formed / 1510]
2. MALO MORI / QUAM / FOEDARI (better to die than be defiled) placed beside a weasel suggests that he may be a knight of the Order of the Ermine.
1. The painting was attributed to Dürer until 1919 due to a now removed fake monogram and as the two inscriptions were concealed by over-paint until the restoration 1958.
2. The identity of the knight is controversial. Following Helen Comstock the weasel could suggest, that he belongs to the Order of the Ermine, founded in 1465 by King Ferdinand I of Naples. In 1938 Agathe Rona following her, suggested that the knight was Ferdinand II of Aragon and that the Order of the Ermine was associated with the house of Aragon, Neapolitan branch. Since the catalogue of an exhibition on Carpaccio held in Venice in 1963 Weiss identified the knight as Francesco Maria della Rovere, 3rd Duke of Urbino and this is accepted by the majority including Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza. There are still more theories identifying the young knight as a Habsburg prince, as Antonio da Montefeltro, as a German soldier in the service of Venice, or as Rolando de RagusaVenturi.
Metropolitan Museum Journal 18 1984 (pdf; 4,2 MB)
painting by Vittore Carpaccio
|Location||Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, Palace of Villahermosa, Madrid, Community of Madrid, Spain|
|Inventory number|| |
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
- ► Tile set of Young Knight in a Landscape (1 P, 12 F)
Pages in category "Young Knight in a Landscape by Carpaccio"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Young Knight in a Landscape by Carpaccio"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Carpaccio - Young knight in a landscape - unrestored.jpg 1,173 × 1,700; 1.73 MB
- Vittore Carpaccio - Giovane cavaliere in un paesaggio.jpg 1,914 × 2,750; 3.1 MB
- Vittore Carpaccio - Portrait of a Knight.JPG 716 × 1,027; 204 KB
- Vittore Carpaccio - Young Knight in a Landscape - Google Art Project.jpg 20,879 × 30,000; 206.08 MB
- Vittore Carpaccio - Young Knight in a Landscape - Google Art ProjectFXD.jpg 5,220 × 7,500; 11.04 MB
- Vittore Carpaccio 069.jpg 2,536 × 3,683; 796 KB
- Vittore carpaccio, ritratto di cavaliere, 1510.jpg 716 × 1,027; 195 KB