Commons:Chart and graph resources
- See also: Category:Statistics.
Charts and graphs are great for simplifying info, showing trends over time, illustrating patterns, and so on. The Commons encourages people to find and create more of them; they should always follow accessibility criteria. Upload them to the Commons, and then put them in the relevant categories. See Category help, and feel free to use category search to find the best categories. Create more categories.
To find categorized images:
Chart making tools, help, and info on WikipediaEdit
There is a lot of how-to info, tools, and help on Wikipedia:
Free CC-BY charts on the webEdit
Public domain charts on the webEdit
- For public domain templates see list in description: Template:PD-ineligible.
Many charts and graphs are in the public domain because they do not meet the threshold of originality. Article shortcuts: COM:TO or COM:TOO. That article has sections on charts and maps near the bottom. There are examples there, and many more examples in Category:PD chart and Category:PD map. For more info see also: en:Threshold of originality.
You can change the text and labels on charts. To erase some text first see the info in Help:Removing watermarks. This is sometimes good to do if there is worry about some text being original enough to be copyrighted. There are freeware image editors such as IrfanView that can edit the text and labels.
Editing the text can also make the chart more useful on Wikipedia. It can make the text larger or more legible at smaller chart sizes. For example; in the thumbnail or medium sizes used on Wikipedia. You can crop the white space around a chart, and put the text close to the chart so that the chart better fills out the available space allotted to it in Wikipedia article.
Does a particular chart pass the threshold of originality? Leave your questions on these talk pages:
Free online charting sitesEdit
Convert charts and graphs to wiki code or image filesEdit
- Commons:Convert tables and charts to wiki code or image files
- Commons:PDF to image files. Many free charts, graphs, and diagrams from the U.S. federal government and elsewhere are in the PDF format.
Convert spreadsheets, database tables to wikitable formatEdit
To convert from spreadsheets (such as those produced by Gnumeric, Microsoft Excel, or LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org/ Calc), you can use the Copy & Paste Excel-to-Wiki converter. Or you can save your spreadsheets as .csv and use the csv2wikitable converter.
The online csv2wp script (documentation) converts comma-separated values (CSV) format to wikitable pipe syntax. You may use this to import tables from both spreadsheets and databases (such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, FileMaker, Microsoft SQL Server & Access, Oracle, DB2, etc.).
Where to ask for helpEdit
- Commons:Graphic Lab - for help with editing or creating images.
- en:Wikipedia:Graphic Lab - for help with editing or creating images.
- en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Illustration - ask project members for help.
- en:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Illustration - ask at this talk page.
- meta:Philip Greenspun illustration project/Requests - request creation/improvement of diagrams.
- en:Help:EasyTimeline syntax
- en:Category:Timeline templates
- en:Category:Diagramming software and en:Category:Free diagramming software
- en:List of information graphics software#Plotting programs (graphing programs)
- en:List of vector graphics editors and en:Comparison of vector graphics editors
- en:Comparison of spreadsheet software - some also create charts.
- en:List of online spreadsheets - some also create charts.
Guidelines for creating better charts and graphsEdit
Galleries for various types of charts and graphsEdit
- Charts and graphs - links to Commons galleries with many types of charts and graphs.
- Open Directory - Science: Math: Software: Graphing.
- Top 5 Websites to create your Graph/Chart online.
- Free Online Tools and Software to Create Charts, Graphs, Flowcharts, Diagrams, etc.
- Zoho DB and Reports. is the name of the free  online database and reporting application in the Zoho Office Suite. It can also "create charts, pivots, summary and other wide-range of reports through powerful drag & drop interface". There are some samples of reports, graphs, charts, and tables here: