This WikiProject aims primarily to document in photograph, sound and video all species of Mammals. For this, we need a taxonomy. There is a project wikispecies, and I suggest we adhere to that taxonomy as much as possible.
There are about 5.500 species of mammals. In contrast to 300.000 species of plants, it should be practical to document all of them.
This WikiProject descends from commons:WikiProject Tree of Life.
Of course we already added a large amount of photos and illustrations on mammals, but this project should help us to spot the areas of weak coverage, help to identify unidentified animals, see what aspects (for example videos of social behaviour, communication) need improved coverage.
Article titles and common namesEdit
The scientific name should be used wherever possible. Even if there are generally accepted english names, remember that this is an international project. Note that
- Names of genera are always italicized and capitalized— Homo, Rosa, Saccharomyces.
- en:Species epithets are always italicized and preceded by the name of the genus Homo sapiens ( The shorthand H. sapiens should preferably be avoided), and never plain sapiens, since such identifiers need not be unique. They are never capitalized.
- Names of higher taxa are capitalized but not italicized— Hominidae, Mammalia, Animalia.
Media should preferably be linked from articles on species level or lower.
Major groups should be given their own categories. When possible, these should use the common name in the plural. In general, only articles about major subgroups should be added, and more specific articles should be included in subcategories. However, when there are only a few articles about members of the group, they can all go directly into the main category. Use your judgement on when to split, aiming for an approximate category size of 10-50 articles.
Note that in addition to taxa, categories may also contain informal subgroups.
Discussing strategies & organization. (and collecting stuff, of course).
I have started a wanted list at category talk:Primates.
There are several types of media (photos, drawings, video and sound). Photos, video and sound seem to be most apt for mammals. Ideally, of every species of mammals the animal in all stages of development should be photographed and recorded in video and sound.
It would be great to have videos of at least the movement and sexual reproduction process.
- WikiProject Birds
- WikiProject Cephalopods
- WikiProject Dinosaurs
- WikiProject Fish
- WikiProject Fungi
- WikiProject Gastropods
- WikiProject Insects
- WikiProject Plants
- WikiProject Prokaryotes and Protists
- WikiProject Viruses
(not all exist already)
- User:TeunSpaans Initiator. I still have some unpublished stuff from a visit to the zoo in summer 2005 which I hope to publish here.