Commons talk:License review
Take snapshots of the source when transferring files?Edit
One commonly cited problem is that there is no way to verify that an image was ever free if the author later changes the license. However, this can probably be solved by taking a snapshot of the original photo page upon transferring the file. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to modify Flickr2Commons et al. to create a snapshot using archive.today or WebCite. Thoughts? Ixfd64 (talk) 05:38, 13 February 2019 (UTC)
Using this page as a noticeboard?Edit
OTRS has their noticeboard to deal with requests. Maybe we could have one here? Sometimes one may wish to jump the long queues (currently standing at 4.6k photos and 12k videos) because the files may be at risk for website shutdown, censorship or whatever reasons, then they could place special requests. I think this could serve as a noticeboard.--Roy17 (talk) 21:02, 30 June 2019 (UTC)
- @Roy17: 1.2k from those are bogus. Elisfkc wasted your time, Rodrigo.Argenton asked for something to be done about it and in response Jcb blocked Rodrigo, because logic. And yes, LR needs a noticeboard. - Alexis Jazz ping plz 21:17, 30 June 2019 (UTC)
- Wouldn't it be wise to create noticeboards for every user group (except for "Autopatrolled") such as "Commons:Template editors' noticeboard" to request edits to be made to certain templates? Well, maybe not a separate noticeboard for every group, but maybe a page named "Commons:Maintenance noticeboard" with a special section like "Commons:Maintenance noticeboard#Template editors"? This way new people or users without advanced rights can bring light issues to their attention and help fight backlog. And copyright issues related to certain templates or perhaps proposals for mass-implementing templates could also be discussed here. --Donald Trung 『徵國單』 (No Fake News 💬) (WikiProject Numismatics 💴) (Articles 📚) 11:13, 11 June 2019 (UTC)"
- I often license review related issues being brought up at the Village pump, Copyright village pump, and various Administrators' noticeboards as well as the help desk but having a single organised noticeboard for this would probably bring these issues to the attention of the users interested in fixing them, mostly as while every sysop has the ability to review not all are interested in doing so and I imagine that many license reviewers check maintenance categories more often than any village pimp of the help desk, so a dedicated noticeboard would fix these issues. --Donald Trung 『徵國單』 (No Fake News 💬) (WikiProject Numismatics 💴) (Articles 📚) 00:27, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Roy17: Leoboudv had reviewed 59 files from 500px, Christian Ferrer had reviewed 23 files and Discasto 2. Elisfkc initially added 1336 files to the category, 1208 were still there so 128 files are unaccounted for. They may have been reviewed and removed from the category. Category:Files from 500px needing review is now empty and the 4.6k in Category:License review needed has been reduced by 1.2k by this action. - Alexis Jazz ping plz 09:02, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- 213 files were reviewed at Elisfkc's request. Pretty much pointless..