|Category Malayalam language on sister projects:|
language spoken in Kerala and Lakshadweep of India
|Instance of|| language,|
|Subclass of||Dravidian languages|
|ISO 639-1 code|| |
Malayalam (മലയാളം IAST:malayāḷaṁ) is one of the four major en:Dravidian languages of South India. It is one of the 22 en:languages with official status in India, with official language status in the state of Kerala, spoken by around 37 million people. Malayalam is also widely used in the union territories of Lakshadweep, Mahé and Puducherry, the Kanyakumari district of Tamil Nadu, and Dakshina Kannada and Kodagu districts of Karnataka, and on Andaman/Nicobar islands. It is also used by a large population of Indian expatriates living around the globe and in the Persian Gulf, United States, Singapore, Australia, and Europe. Malayalam and Tamil are the closest relatives, which is not disputed by scholars. Malayalam is speculated to be a daughter language of Middle Tamil in the 6th century, of which Modern Tamil was also derived.
This category has the following 24 subcategories, out of 24 total.
- ► Malayali people (16 C, 3 F)
- ► Malayalam grammar (1 C, 14 F)
- ► Images with Malayalam description (606 F)
- ► Malayalam script (6 C, 71 F)
Media in category "Malayalam language"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Central Asia - political map 2008-ml.svg 996 × 790; 156 KB
- Department of malayalam.jpg 1,280 × 960; 116 KB
- Drona 2010 Malayalam Movie Photos New Photos 37 (2).jpg 738 × 658; 90 KB
- Kadavanad Kuttikrishnan.jpg 948 × 1,289; 180 KB
- Marara.jpg 662 × 180; 43 KB
- Otta slokam Malayalam 1921.pdf 582 × 843, 238 pages; 4.75 MB
- Pathinettam Padi pic.jpg 1,024 × 576; 127 KB
- Sreenath Bhasi latest .jpg 4,912 × 7,360; 24.33 MB
- Thalakuri Malayalam Movie Poster.jpg 510 × 750; 21 KB