To all users
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
In many countries, copyright infringement is illegal. Copyright infringement is not a prank, but a crime.
Copyright violations cause loss of rights and time for others. Don't ignore copyright to decorate Wikipedia articles with pictures!
There are many ways to contribute to the Wikimedia Commons. Deletion request is one of the contribute to the Wikimedia Commons.
If you find copyright violations files, please submit deletion requests.
I am grateful to the users who upload good files, the users who categorize the uploaded files properly, the users who submit deletion requests, the users who help others, and the administrators. Thank you!
To the admins
Admins, please take strict action against the users who repeatedly copyvios! Lax treatment will ruin the Wikimedia Commons's credibility, violate the rights of the copyright holders, and waste other's time.
The admins are excellent, diligent and law-abiding people. The time of such good people is wasted by the users who behave badly. I think it's very wasteful.
In many countries, copyright infringement is illegal. The copyright infringement that you are seeing now, it is not a prank, but a crime! Therefore, I will say again, please strict action against the users who infringe copyright.
I am grateful to the administrators. Thank you!
Don't ignore copyright in order to decorate Wikipedia articles with pictures!
Copyright infringement causes loss of rights and time for others. Please don't do it!
To the users who will upload your works to Wikimedia CommonsEdit
Wikimedia Commons is more than just a photo repository for Wikipedia.
- Photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons can be used by anyone for free. Commercial use is also possible. It makes it possible that others print your photos on T-shirt and sell them.
- You won't get any money. You can't revoke the commercial use license that you have granted to your works.
- Do you understand that your works will be used for free?
For Japanese usersEdit
about Costumes and CosplayEdit
- Quotation from Commons:Copyright_rules_by_subject_matter#Costumes_and_cosplay (COM:COSTUME, COM:COSPLAY).
"If the costume is a completely original design (not based on any existing character design), and the designer has released it under a free license, it is permitted."
- It means that photos of costumes (or cosplay) based on existing character design are not permitted.
Mike Godwin's emailEdit
- In 2009, Mike Godwin advised via email about a discussion regarding photos of cosplayers.
- However, in 2011, the Wikimedia Foundation legal team issued the statement regarding costumes, intended to supplant earlier advice given by Mike Godwin.
- One of the admins, Sebari, says that "Mike Godwin's email is clearly marked as obsolete everywhere it's quoted" in Com:Deletion requests/Files in Category:Darth Vader (21 December 2019).
- In short, it is pointless to bring up Mike Godwin's email (and the judgement based on his email) to the deletion requests now.