Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 in the United States
In September 2012, the United States participated in Wiki Loves Monuments, a photography contest and crowdsourcing event in which participants photograph and upload images of national historic sites and places to Wikimedia Commons. This images can be used on Wikipedia and beyond for free. The 2012 contest has focused specifically on the National Register of Historic Places event.
WLM in the United States will follow the same rules and practices as the international event. WLM involves participants uploading photographs that were taken by themselves, of places on the National Register of Historic Places. Participants can either upload images to Flickr for transport to Commons, or, preferably, create an account and upload images via Wikimedia Commons. All images will be licensed via CC-BY-SA 3.0, unless otherwise specified. Photographs can be taken anytime (i.e. past vacation images, or a Wiki Takes event), but, in order to be considered part of the contest, participants must upload them during September. Each image should include the NHRP registry number, and participants are encouraged to add images as appropriate to NRHP County Lists, an article on the individual site, or perhaps in a gallery on Commons. The most valued are images in the articles previously without illustrations.
NRHP County Lists will be the starting point for finding the sites you want to photograph. The county lists can be easily found in any of several ways:
- on the regular article on the county, e.g. Clark County, Nevada there will be a link under "See also", e.g. National Register of Historic Places listings in Clark County, Nevada
- or a list of links is also available from the state lists, which can be reached by a short name for every state, e.g. List of RHPs in OH, where OH is the postal abbreviation for Ohio, and RHP stands for "Registered Historic Places".
- or on any NRHP list or article there is an overall NRHP template (just click the correct state) or a state NRHP template (just click the correct county).
- or just start at the national list United States National Register of Historic Places listings, click through to the state list, and then click through to the county list.
Learn more about past Wiki Loves Monuments events here: http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu/
What is neededEdit
- Help for prizes; usually these are sponsored by local parties or cultural partners.
- Help for organizing "Wikipedia takes your city/town".
- Help with the http://wikilovesmonuments.us website, including writing blog posts and technical setup
- One or more people to help coordinate communications (external and internal, such as with the Wikipedia community and wikiprojects)
Wikis Take AmericaEdit
We can encourage local meetup groups to organize a series of Wiki Take Manhattan-type events during September, similar to the series of Wiknic and library events that happened in 2011.
We will need to help provide infrastructure, materials and make it simple for people to organize such events.
Outreach to local historical societiesEdit
Maybe in Spring 2012, like we did Wikipedia Loves Libraries, we can do themed events to encourage outreach to local historical societies. Build ties with them early.
- Road trips? How to encourage photos in smaller towns, rural areas, ... and by non-Wikipedians?
- Flickr groups, outreach?
- National Register of Historic Places ran a Flickr contest in Fall 2011. (Aude has contacts with them)
- Outreach to OpenStreetMap folks in the US?
Please add your username, what you'd like to help with, and if you're able to plan events in your area.
- Aude (talk · contribs) - technical support, and liaison with organizations and contacts in DC region (June/July). I will be in Germany and Japan during September and can't help as much then so hoping / expect others from Wikimedia DC to step up and help.
- Smallbones (talk) 20:46, 6 December 2011 (UTC) - worked with WP:NRHP on recent Photo Contest, would love to do something bigger
- mokapantages (talk · contribs) - would love to help coordinate and help out where i can. Mokapantages (talk) 18:27, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
- SarahStierch; very busy until after grad school, but will participate once I'm able to do so.
- Pete F (talk) I'm reluctant to get very involved in an event that conflates "wiki" with "Wikimedia" but I am interested in the general concept, and enjoy this sort of in-person/online collaboration. If there are efforts to come up with a more accurate name, please ping me!
- Dominic (talk · contribs) — I can help in Boston and/or DC. Dominic (talk) 00:01, 29 January 2012 (UTC)
- Jane023 (talk) 19:29, 3 February 2012 (UTC) - interested in helping in Massachusetts and New Hampshire
- Pharos (talk · contribs) - Can help in NYC / Northeast, and also encouraging local meetup groups throughout US with "Wikis Take" events.
- Sydney Poore (FloNight) I can help organize in Florida, and perhaps other areas in the Southeast.
- Heather Walls I love monuments and I'm up for helping in the SF bay area.
- Frank Schulenburg (talk · contribs) – I'm going to cover beautiful Sonoma. Let me know if you want to join me for taking photos and tasting wine :-) --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 16:54, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
- Sj (talk · contribs) - East coast and Massachusetts, historic and ahistoric monuments. Help with other coordination. 14:40, 25 March 2012 (UTC)
- Gabrielm199 - Happy to help coordinate activity within 2 hour radius of Syracuse, NY.
- carptrash I am based in Dixon NM, but have been doing this monument thing for the past few weeks. I'll do about anything, at least once.
- Emw: I'm enthusiastic about large-scale, freely licensed photographic surveys of US cities and towns.
I plan to help coordinate the event in Boston/Massachusetts/New England.(I won't be able to devote enough time to this.)
- Almonroth I'm helping with press, jury outreach, sponsor outreach, and events in California, SF Bay Area, etc.
- User:janeatcc I'm interested in organizing a small road trip locally in Los Angeles/Orange County area to take pictures of monuments!
- User:Petropoxy (Lithoderm Proxy): I'm available to organize events in the Greater Cincinnati area. My time will be relatively limited due to school, but I'd like to put together at least one or two meetups.
|Outreach, Social Media|
|Outreach and Press/Media Relations Support||AutoGyro, Almonroth|
|Partnerships & Sponsorships|
|National Judging Coordinator|
|National Judging Support|
|Technical Assistant, wikilovesmonuments.us|
|Technical Assistant, on-wiki support|
|Wikimedia New England area|
|Wikimedia DC area||AutoGyro & Harej|
|Wikimedia NYC area and WALRUS-wrangling||Pharos|
|Wikimedia Midwest area||Varnent|
|Wikimedia Florida area||FloNight♥♥♥|
To participate in Wiki Loves Monuments USA, see our Get Started page.
- WikiProject National Register of Historic Places - on English Wikipedia; they ran a photo contest in Fall 2011 and can hopefully help lead WLM US
- NRHP warm-up photo contest 2011
|Wiki Loves Monuments 2012|
Participating countries - Timeline - Progress - Documentation - Tools - FAQ - Media - - Communication - Highlighted pictures