The bot has been out of action for several months after the decommissioning of the toolserver environment, and is now being migrated to WMFlabs by a volunteer. As of Jan/Feb 2015 the rewritten bot should be considered in testing, so templates referenced below can be used but may take a while be acted on by the bot.
Automated logs of transactions across projects can be found at http://tools-static.wmflabs.org/commonsfairuseupload
This bot re-uploads files that are deleted on Commons to projects where they are in use, if those projects accept non-free files.
The procedure is that:
- Category:Pending fair use deletes, is checked for images.
- The revision histories are checked to see who added the requesting template.
- If the requesting user is not a current Commons admin, the template is changed to a request for an admin to apply the template and the bot stops processing that image. See Category:Requested fair use deletes.
- The images are uploaded to local wikis using an amended file name (using the same name would be confusing cross-wiki), then the original is marked for speedy deletion on Commons when done.
- Wikipedia articles using the images receive a notice that the file has now been locally uploaded as a fair use candidate. Local wikis are responsible for determining if the image is eligible for their own non-free content policy, and deleting it in a timely manner if not.
- If for some reason the image cannot be uploaded, an error message is added to the Commons image page and not marked for speedy deletion.
This bot will run hourly on WMFlabs, and is written using Python and using Pywikibot to use the Commons API (previously depending on Bryan's mwclient).
Two types of files are transferred by this bot:
Currently supported wikisEdit
- English Wikipedia - both non-free and PD-US
- English Wikibooks - non-free
- English Wikisource - PD-US only
- International Wikisource - PD-US only
- Estonian Wikipedia - non-free
supported_wikis = ['et.wikipedia.org', 'en.wikipedia.org', 'en.wikibooks.org'] pd_us_wikis = ['en.wikipedia.org', 'en.wikisource.org', 'wikisource.org']
- Trials and rewrite stage - http://github.com/faebug/fuub
- Old code (to 2014, running on toolserver) http://github.com/wikigit/Commons-fair-use-upload-bot
If you can help with translations and local fair use policy, please contact the operator.