Commons:Voice intro project/nl
A project to make audio recordings in which Wikipedia subjects speak their own name, and introduce themselves.
First suggested in a blog post, "Requesting open-licensed, open-format recordings of the voices of Wikipedia subjects for Wikimedia Commons" by Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing).
So that we know how a notable person pronounces their own name, and what they sound like. The sound of their voice can be helpful, for example:
- as a way of identifying a person for people that have a vision impairment
- to confirm a person's identity, if you've heard them on, say, the radio
- to distinguish them from someone else with the same name
The pronunciation is useful:
- if you are about to meet them
- if you are about to mention them in a presentation or on air
In fact, you’d have the canonical pronunciation of their name: their own.
If you are the subject of a Wikipedia article, please upload an MP3, FLAC or ogg audio recording of your own, normal speaking voice.
If you're a Wikimedian working with notable people, you can do that for them.
If you are (or your subject is) fluent in more than one language, please record a separate file in each.
Try to find somewhere quiet to make the recording - even taking a few steps away from other people's conversations helps. If you're outdoors, get out of the wind.
If you can't make an MP3, FLAC or ogg file (or don't know what that means) you can e-mail us a recording in whatever format suits you and release it under an open licence. If the file is too big to be e-mailed, you can use file sharing or sound hosting services like SoundCloud or Vocaroo. We'll do the conversion for you. You're welcome to drop a note on this page's talk page if you have questions or need help.
Another alternative is to contact a volunteer on WhatsApp - please ask for contact details.
Wat te zeggen
Typically people say:
"Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place] and I have been [job or position] since [year]"
Please include a brief pause between "my name is" and your name.
You're welcome to say more!
Listen to some of the examples, in the project's English-language category.
Wat niet te zeggen
- Don't mention that you're making a recording for Wikipedia/Wikipedia Commons
- No advertising, pitching for work, advocacy, proselytizing or politics
- Nothing time-dependent (so not "I am currently...", "ten years ago", or "This year..." - your recording is for posterity!)
- Add a link to the recording, from the subject's page on Wikidata, using P990, with a qualifier specifying the language used.
- Transcribe the recording, as Timed Text captions.
Files are sorted into categories, by language. See a list of categories, at Category:Voice intro project.