Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
I'm sorry, but I had to remove your picture File:Pickle Plant, Senecio articulatus.jpg from the Photo challenge Leaves as your submission was 13 minutes late. I hope it wasn't your only candidate in the challenge! (Otherwise, the new challenges for December should be up soon...)
Best wisches, --Anna reg (talk) 00:41, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry, but the challenges close at 00:00 UTC. It was discussed on the Photo challenge talk page that we should be strict with that timeline, which means that your entries won't be valied. Please wait for the new challenges! --Anna reg (talk) 01:05, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
I am sorry, I don't have a clue what I am doing, and I don't know if this is really the right way to reply. I am not worried about the photos not being included, I am more about collaboration than competition and I use wikimedia images so it seemed to me I ought to share some images as well. I might try up-loading the frozen puddle one to the new bad weather category. And I have another idea for one to take, plus I can probably find objects in use photos in my personal albums. I am looking for a tutorial on using talk. And also for finding my wiki signature.
- Hello Harvest,
- your reply is fine and you can sign by writing four ~ (~~~~), which will automatically be translated into your signature (which is why I had to use <nowiki> to block the change). You can also use the little sign with the pencil on top of the edit box ( ), which will write --~~~~ with a click.
- Sadly, I do have bad news for you - while I didn't immediately remove pictures taken before December from the photo challenge Bad weather as that would have been the vast majority of all entries (and instead asked on the Photo challenge talk page if we really want to insist on the time restriction), the few responses I got were to keep the rule as it is and I'm therefore removing the pictures not in accordance with the time restrictions - which includes your picture File:Frozen puddle with fall leaves.jpg - sorry. But I think it's better to remove those pictures as soon as possible, as that gives you the time to take and enter others.
- Best wishes and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. By the way, did you see the countdown that was added to avoid further confusion about the UTC-deadline?
- Anna reg (talk) 12:40, 8 December 2014 (UTC)
Anna, So, that photo was disqualified from leaves for being taken after the end of November UTC--and now you have disqualified it from December for being taken before December UTC. SO, I ask, how can it be both after Nove3mber and before December? Tell me, does that make sense to you??? There is nothing at all that comes between November and December. Anyway, I do think the count down thing is useful and I have now set my camera to UTC time. And thanks for the tip on the signature! --Harvest (talk) 02:01, 19 December 2014 (UTC)
- Great! and a picture can be to early and too late if we are talking about two dates - taken & uploaded - and too challenges. But you're right, the situation was a bit strange - but as we have the rule that the picture has to be taken in December, it would be unfair to leave your picture while removing others...
- Best wishes, --Anna reg (talk) 13:56, 19 December 2014 (UTC)