Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
- 1 Eulenburg deleted file
- 2 A barnstar for you!
- 3 Your VFC installation method is deprecated
- 4 File:Pandit Raghunath Murmu.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests
- 5 Re: Please do not overwrite files
- 6 Fehlende Lizenz zu einem Bild nachtragen
- 7 Question
- 8 request
- 9 Jordan_Maron_Youtube.jpg
- 10 Best way to contact you?
- 11 Appeal for speed delection: File:Yang_Chaoyue,_March_23,_2019_Rocket_Girl_101_Concert_at_the_Cadillac_Arena_in_Beijing.jpg
Eulenburg deleted fileEdit
Re: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Philipp-Fuerst-von-Eulenburg_%281847-1921%29.jpg We have the same problem (unknown authorship) also for these pictures from the same scandal and the same years:
- Philipp zu Eulenburg-Hertefeld.jpg
- Maximilian Harden.png
- Moltke, Kuno von (1847-1923) sett 1900 a Costantinopoli - Atelier Walsleben Breslau.jpg
- Kuno von Moltke.jpg
- Thanks for the notice. While this is by no means "official" policy, i wouldn't press the first one for example: with a creation date of 1882 it would be unlikely enough (for my preferences), that the author died 70+ years ago (adding 50 years should make this safe enough for all images created before 1893). Also for some pictures it may be possible to claim "PD-anonymous" for Germany. Two facts must be shown: the file has to be published 70+ years ago and there must be some evidence/proof, that the author's name wasn't disclosed in the publication (or they used a pseudonym for an unknown real author). Hope that info helps a bit, but i am not going to nominate those images myself. GermanJoe (talk) 13:21, 15 November 2013 (UTC)
- Please remind to always answer on the discussion page of the writer, not on yours, otherwise the writer could now know you answered.
- I know the rules very well, and they apply both on the image you nominated and on those I called your attention upon. Since you don't want to nominate them (why?) I made myself a page with several cases similar to the one you nominated, please cast your vote for their deletion. Thank you.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Unknown_authors_around_1900 --User:G.dallorto (talk) 10:34, 24 November 2013 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!Edit
|The Original Barnstar|
|Thank you for your rapid and helpful response to my question at the Village Pump. Pleasantville1972 (talk) 03:33, 23 October 2014 (UTC)|
Your VFC installation method is deprecatedEdit
Hello GermanJoe, we are aware that using the old installation method of VFC (via common.js, which you are using) may not work reliably anymore and can break other scripts as well. A detailed explanation can be found here. Important: To prevent problems please remove the old VFC installation code from your common.js and instead in your preferences. Thanks! --VFC devs (q) 16:23, 22 May 2017 (UTC)
File:Pandit Raghunath Murmu.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requestsEdit
This photo is available freely in public domain and I have added this to the Commons for using it in the wiki page titled "Pandit Raghunath Murmu"(the public figure). Just because you found this image at one particular website doesn't mean it is a copyrighted material. This photo is the most popular and the most widely available image of Pandit Raghuram Murmu.
- Hello @Sameerhansda:, as just explained on en-Wiki, modern creative works are copyrighted by default unless their author grants an explicit free license. I am sorry, but you are mixing up "publicly available" and "public domain" (not copyrighted) - these terms are not synonymous. If you need further clarification from other uninvolved editors, I recommend you ask for additional advice at Commons:Village Pump/Copyright. GermanJoe (talk) 06:40, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
- Hello @GermanJoe:, the picture we are talking about is the only photo of Raghuram Murmu available. This is the photo that is used in all websites,seminars, articles, presentations, functions, youtube videos and what not. What can be done to validate this photo?? SameerHansda
- Hello @Sameerhansda:, that's very difficult when images don't have complete information about their author and previous publications. Some necessary details would be: Who created the initial image? The copyright entirely depends on the original creative author (the original photographer or painter) and the first publication, not on any later re-publications by others. Also important: when and where was this image first published? When was it created? As you seem knowledgeable in this topic area, maybe you can provide this required information? Unfortunately all websites I checked lack these basic details. India has a copyright protection between 50 and 60 years after the copyright owner's death or first publication. As Raghunath Murmu died in 1982, it is very likely that the image is still under copyright protection and cannot be used at all. One more important aspect: if the copyright situation cannot be sufficiently clarified, images have to be deleted by default. Commons does not host images with unclear copyright. GermanJoe (talk) 19:16, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
Re: Please do not overwrite filesEdit
Hey GermanJoe thank you for the message. I must confess, I thaught nobody would regret the older file. The license is the same for both, I overwrited the older file because its quality is lower than the new one. I am sorry for the mistake, I will stop to upload new files here. Commons rules became too complicated for me, I'll make do with it.wiki. Cheers, --Ombra (talk) 17:42, 28 December 2017 (UTC)
- Hello @Ombra:, overwriting an existing file can be easily fixed. Such minor mistakes happen occasionally, but are really not a big deal - and your contributions are appreciated of course. If you find or create freely licensed images, it would be great if you'd reconsider and continue to upload them here, so they are available for all Wikipedia projects and other re-users. I do hope the previous standard message didn't come across as unintentionally discouraging. In case some Commons rules or copyright cases are unclear, I'd be glad to help with any future questions. Best regards. GermanJoe (talk) 18:02, 28 December 2017 (UTC)
Fehlende Lizenz zu einem Bild nachtragenEdit
Thank You for giving me advice to fix the license issue!
Why I can't upload a new photo?
- @Stevencocoboy:, because the new image is copyrighted. Uploading it without the copyright owner's explicit permission is a copyright violation. Also, new files are generally uploaded as separate files with a new name (see COM:OVERWRITE). But both of these points are already explained and linked on your user talkpage. Please read the linked guidelines and stop uploading such copyrighted images. Thank you. GermanJoe (talk) 02:36, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
But I have list a copyright source ,Some korea Star,like Lee Sung-kyung,Jung Hae In is also it,I don't know How can open a new file, I just want to change an old photo in charmaine sheh.
- Hello @Stevencocoboy:, perhaps we are stuck at a language barrier here, and I am simply not clear enough in explaining this issue. I have already linked the relevant guidelines but if the information is still unclear, would you mind posting at Commons:Village Pump/Copyright please to get advice from other editors? Thank you for your consideration and sorry I couldn't explain this better myself. GermanJoe (talk) 03:13, 26 June 2018 (UTC)
Dear GermanJoe, I just wanted to apologise and clarify that it was naïve from my part to add references to our articles on Wikipedia. I now understand why this is not allowed and it will not happen again. May I say, however, that I found some of your responses to be rather aggressive. Please allow me to clarify that your contributions are commendable, and I will not be asking you to reconsider your decision to take down the references. I just want to have a short and a friendly discussion with reference to some of your comments on the talk-pages which I consider to be inaccurate and unfair.
- Hello @A.constantinou:, I am assuming you are referring to recent removals at English Wikipedia? If you'd like to discuss this, please feel free to post at my English Wikipedia talkpage at en:User talk:GermanJoe (Commons and English Wikipedia are separate projects with separate forums and administrations). For the sake of transparency I'd prefer to discuss any Wikipedia-related matters on public Wikipedia forums - please understand, that I won't use mails (unless absolutely necessary for confidential details). I'd be glad to answer any questions on my English Wikipedia talkpage though. Best regards. GermanJoe (talk) 21:51, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
I understand you have copyright flagged my recent upload of Jordan_Maron_Youtube.jpg
I realise the licensing and permissions aren't expressly noted, but have been given by both the artist and subject themselves. Is there a way to file this appropriately to stop this happening in the future?
- Hello @Datipster:, unfortunately copyright can be quite confusing - both for regular and new editors alike. If you haven't seen it yet, en:Talk:Jordan Maron (see link) has some useful advice on top of the talkpage and further details in various talkpage threads. Unless a previously-published file is clearly marked as freely licensed for all usages on its original source website, or has been verified via a mail from the copyright owner, such files will usually get deleted. The only other alternative are unpublished photos taken by the uploader, which the uploader then releases under a free license during the upload process. If you have additional specific questions about copyright, you can also always ask at Commons:Village Pump/Copyright or en:Wikipedia:Media copyright questions, where experienced editors offer advice for all copyright-related questions. GermanJoe (talk) 14:34, 17 August 2018 (UTC)
Best way to contact you?Edit
I wanted to get in touch with you regarding something that came across my desk, originating from an employee from my company (who's no longer with us) and who got us banned. What's the best way to get in touch with you to discuss privately?
- My mail is active, so you can simply send me a mail with the Wiki-internal "Email this user" link here if you need to send information in private. The link should be in the toolbox to the left of your screen, but you might have to register an account to use this feature (this can be a fully anonymous account of course). You'll find some basic information about the Wiki-internal mail function at en:Wikipedia:Emailing users (on English Wiki).
- When you sent me a mail via this feature, please leave me a short notification here or at en:User talk:GermanJoe. GermanJoe (talk) 22:44, 14 February 2019 (UTC)
Appeal for speed delection: File:Yang_Chaoyue,_March_23,_2019_Rocket_Girl_101_Concert_at_the_Cadillac_Arena_in_Beijing.jpgEdit
Hi, I think that the file does not meet the criteria for speedy deletion, thus a regular deletion request is opened to allow the up loader to provide a detailed prove --H2254625 (talk) 10:56, 17 April 2019 (UTC)