Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Percy Sledge.tif was uncategorized on 29 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:39, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
- Image:ALMontgomery102709-5582.png was uncategorized on 28 September 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:42, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Library of Congress by Carol M. Highsmith.jpg was uncategorized on 9 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:40, 10 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Madison Building by Carol M. Highsmith.jpg was uncategorized on 10 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:41, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Minerva of Peace.jpg was uncategorized on 10 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:41, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Thomas Jefferson Building Aerial by Carol M. Highsmith.jpg was uncategorized on 10 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:41, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Thomas Jefferson Great Hall by Carol M. Highsmith.jpg was uncategorized on 10 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:41, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
File:ALMontgomery102709-5582.png has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Ms Highsmith, I wanted to say that I really admire your work, and thanks for taking the time to upload some pieces onto our project. The scary notice above is just to propose deletion of one of the two duplicate photos we have of David Bronner. Cheers, Sebastian. Seb26 (talk) 22:20, 18 April 2017 (UTC)
The image File:90-year old Kate Carter in North Carolina log cabin.jpg, that you nominated on Commons:Featured picture candidates/File:90-year old Kate Carter in North Carolina log cabin.jpg has been promoted. Thank you for your contribution. If you would like to nominate another image, please do so.