More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
BotMultichillT 06:16, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
Regarding your censoring of my message to Mr. Wales: it's interesting that you're obviously more bothered by seeing an image of 1866 painting of a vagina than by the attitude of a 2010 Commons admin who, without having gained any form of community consensus, simply starts deleting images he doesn't like, including several 19th century works of art, claiming to excercise WMF policy - an act for which every other Commons admin would have been desysopped immediately. Wutsje (talk) 23:53, 7 May 2010 (UTC)
- I do not agree with Jimbo Wales and I think he's actions was totaly wrong. I think that commons should be a free image collection with as few limitations as possible and Jimbo Wales actions goes against our fundamental principle to spread knowlage. I agree with you that the action was unjustifiable, but I do not think it's constructive to put erotic images on Jimbo Wales discussion page.
- All it achieves is a gloomy discussion climate and it makes the agreement process difficult. We have to try and find a solution and try to hold a constructive dialog. That was the reason I removed your post, it was unnessesarily provocative. Obelix (talk) 16:13, 8 May 2010 (UTC)
File:Fikabord_på_Boijertz_Conditori_i_Höör.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
File source is not properly indicated: File:Flyktingar i kallingar Grytan Östersund.jpgEdit
|This media was probably deleted.|
A file that you have uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, File:Flyktingar i kallingar Grytan Östersund.jpg, was missing information about where it comes from or who created it, which is needed to verify its copyright status. The file probably has been deleted. If you've got all required information, request undeletion providing this information and the link to the concerned file (
If you created the content yourself, enter
If someone else created the content, or if it is based on someone else's work, the source should be the address to the web page where you found it, the name and ISBN of the book you scanned it from, or similar. You should also name the author, provide verifiable information to show that the content is in the public domain or has been published under a free license by its author, and add an appropriate template identifying the public domain or licensing status, if you have not already done so.Please add the required information for this and other files you have uploaded before adding more files. If you need assistance, please ask at the help desk. Thank you!
File tagging File:Skäralid.JPGEdit
|This media may be deleted.|
Thanks for uploading File:Skäralid.JPG. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (email@example.com). This also applies if you are the author yourself.