Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
BotMultichillT 06:26, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Clapboard-ka.png is uncategorized since 2 February 2009. BotMultichillT 06:26, 3 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Southern Ocean-ka.png is uncategorized since 8 February 2009. BotMultichillT 06:25, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Laurasia-Gondwana-ka.png is uncategorized since 8 February 2009. BotMultichillT 06:25, 9 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Ajara map–ka.png is uncategorized since 15 February 2009. BotMultichillT 06:32, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Europe countries map ka.png is uncategorized since 24 February 2009. BotMultichillT 06:49, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Gombori in khirsa.JPG was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:North Atlantic Treaty Organization (orthographic projection).png was uncategorized on 29 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:17, 30 November 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Mira Meyan Khatun.jpg was uncategorized on 3 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:38, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Tahsin Beg and Meyan Khatun.jpg was uncategorized on 3 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:38, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
File:Logo2009esc.png has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may also find Commons:Copyright rules useful, or you can ask questions about Commons policies at the Commons:Help desk. blocked from editing.
I noticed you have uploaded some fair use material. This material is only allowed on the English Wikipedia, not on Commons. If you intend to use it on the English Wikipedia, please upload it locally. The following things are only allowed to be uploaded to the English Wikipedia and the projects listed here.
- Cd cover
- Book cover
- Dvd cover
- Game cover
Also feel free to ask a question on my Talk page. I will answer your questions as far as I can! Thank you again for contributing to the Commons.
File:ESC Georgia 2009 Logo.png has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may also find Commons:Copyright rules useful, or you can ask questions about Commons policies at the Commons:Help desk. blocked from editing.
- Describe what it is about in a short sentence. (What does the image show?)
- State the author and the date of creation. If you made it yourself, say so explicitly. If it is from another Wikimedia user, link to the person's local user page. Best to use CommonsHelper.
- If you did not create the file yourself, state the source you got it from.
- Add a copyright tag - images without an appropriate license tag will be deleted.
- Add the image to one or more gallery pages and/or appropriate categories, so it can be found by others. To find out where an image belongs, you can use CommonsSense.
If you copied the file from another wiki, please copy all information given there and say who uploaded it to that wiki. Use CommonsHelper.
You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file.
Please add as much information as possible. If there is not sufficient information, the file may have to be deleted. For more information, follow the Commons:First steps guide. If you need help or have questions, please ask at the Help desk.Thank you.
Hi! You should export the svg-Files to png or other. The rendering of svg-Files isn't that good on wikimedia-sites. And maybe a translation of File:David IV map de.png would be more compatible for ka:დავით_აღმაშენებელი ;) Greetings --Don-kun (talk) 15:50, 6 October 2010 (UTC)
Hello my brother, i guess you are a yezidi kurd from Georgia. Do you speak kurdish? Would you like to help us in kurdish wikipedia about Yezidi culture in Georgia? --Gomada (talk) 21:30, 6 December 2011 (UTC)
File:Imedi TV logo.png has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Picture of the Year 2013 R1 AnnouncementEdit
Round 1 of Picture of the Year 2013 is open!Edit
- ⧼Wikibase-terms/თეკა⧽: العربية, български, Deutsch, English, français, italiano, македонски, മലയാളം, 日本語, русский, svenska, اردو, 中文
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2013 Picture of the Year competition is now open. This year will be the eighth edition of the annual Wikimedia Commons photo competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their favorite images featured on Commons during the last year (2013) to produce a single Picture of the Year.
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. These images include professional animal and plant shots, breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historical images, photographs portraying the world's best architecture, impressive human portraits, and so much more.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topical categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you may vote for as many images as you like. The top 30 overall and the most popular image in each category will continue to the final. In the final round, you may vote for just one image to become the Picture of the Year.
Round 1 will end on .
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
You are receiving this message because you voted in the 2012 Picture of the Year contest.