FOP in Italy for recent buildingsEdit
Hello, I finally wrote something about the way the law on FOP is applied in Italy. The general idea is that only buildings registered and recognised by the Ministry are protected; everything else falls under the threshold of originality because even the heirs lose their rights. Can you please check what I've written? :) If it makes sense, I'll propose it to revise the way we deal with FOP in Italy and it will easy the job of many admins. Thanks! --Ruthven (msg) 08:59, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
So it IS you doing the disruptive edits. Please do not put any more inappropriate images in the unidentified aircraft categories. These catefories are for aircraft / gliders / helicopters that are NOT immediately identifiable by TYPE , NOT registration or some other attribute.
- And stop adding unnecessary categories to Unidentified aircraft. By all means keep the categories in Piston engined aircraft and Jet-engined aircraft, but they are totally redundant in Unidentified aircraft (read the blurb at the head of the category!!!!!!!!!!)--Petebutt (talk) 09:11, 6 February 2018 (UTC).
- @Petebutt:, the catgory description reads "This category contains unidentified, unclassified, unknown or mislabelled aircraft. We would value your expertise to identify these media and find their rightful places in the appropriate category structure." and "Look at the file name and description. Many files marked as unidentified are actually identified and just need appropriate categories." Category:Unidentified jet-powered aircraft is exactly the right place for these files. Category:Images of aircraft without type category will soon be deleted, so there will be no other option. I hope you can accept this so that I don't need to block you again. - Themightyquill (talk) 09:35, 7 February 2018 (UTC)
New "Unidentified" headerEdit
Good afternoon. Concerning your newly created "Unidentified" headers I'm afraid they may not be specific enough.
If someone reads "images should probably be placed in subcategories of Category:Jet-powered aircraft." he could possibly place files simply in any of the listed categories after having clicked on the link. Thus, they may disappear in "Jet airliners", "Twin-engined jet aircraft" or similar, before someone with extended knowledge has a chance to place them into the correct type cats etc.
I'd like to suggest to make a slight change: "images should probably be placed in type subcategories ...", adding a more specific target cat description. This would have to be applied across all the 4 sub-cats of "Unidentified". Regards --Uli Elch (talk) 14:40, 7 February 2018 (UTC)É
- I hope my recent additions are satisfactory. Everyone should be placing images in the most specific category they are capable of. If something gets placed correctly in Category:Jet airliners, that's better than hanging out in Category:Aircraft. - Themightyquill (talk) 19:33, 7 February 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you very much for your prompt action. I might even have preferred to have that in the big blue box, which is very prominent to readers. But anyhow, it is better than the previous version. --- It feels good to have met somebody with whom an exchange of thoughts is possible in a good atmosphere and with factual arguments; as you obviously know, this is not always the case. --Uli Elch (talk) 09:45, 8 February 2018 (UTC)
Hello! I'd like to ask your help. I took a dozens of pictures along Route 71 (Hungary). I gave coords, I wrote, 71-es út in subscription, but user:Szajci removed those and let me messages (nincs rajta a 71-es út, ne tedd be ide) means cca. 'if the road is not on pics, it is not fit to there'. Here is an example.' I know differently, so I put back couple, but he just let the messages one after another nem vonom addig vissza, csak, ha a többiek is egyetértenek means cca. I will not return only if the others agree with you. Thanks for your effort. - - Globetrotter19 (talk) 17:56, 10 March 2018 (UTC)
I think you were mistaken to merge Category:Downspouts into Category:Drain pipes. A "downspout" is vertical and usually is part of a rainwater system, especially one leading down from the gutters on a house. A "drain pipe" is typically (though not always) underground, heavier duty, and often carries sewage (or is at least built to a standard where it could). Looking at the history of Category:Downspouts, there was a pretty accurate description there before you merged it, and you appear not to have gone through CFD for this. - Jmabel ! talk 16:06, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- @Jmabel: Well, there was this discussion Commons:Categories for discussion/2014/08/Category:Drain pipes open since 2014. Most of the images in drain pipes are vertical pipes for rainwater leading down from gutters on buildings. If you want to go the other way, that's fine. I think they're redundant, but I don't care which term we use. The description that was on Downspouts is currently on drain pipes. It listed "downpipe, drain spout, roof drain pipe" as syonyms. - Themightyquill (talk) 18:52, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Ah. I never found that CFD, because I was watching "Downspouts" but not "Drain pipes". So we don't really have a particular category for sewer-type pipes, I guess, just a bunch of categories that dance around it in various ways (Category:Sewers, Category:Concrete pipes, etc.). - Jmabel ! talk 23:45, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
Is it really wise to give a category a name that cannot be typed on any keyboard? I usually try to avoid that, the only exceptions being proper names, where there may be no choice. Couldn't we call this Category:360-degree panoramas? - Jmabel ! talk 16:24, 31 March 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks for the reminder, Jmabel. I had the same thought, and was definitely planning to at least make a redirect from Category:360-degree panoramas, but forgot. If you'd rather make that the main category, I won't fight you on it. There are, however, many examples with ° in Category:Specific angles, not to mention Category:Measurements in degrees Celsius by value. I'm not sure it matters if there is a redirect. - Themightyquill (talk) 17:11, 31 March 2018 (UTC)
Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia surveyEdit
Alright, I didn't know that acronyms should be avoided in categories. That's Ok. I got second thoughts about my first idea (category:Hari Parbat, Shounter Valley), because I thought that a mountain usually lies between two or more valleys and that an emphasis on one valley might be inapropriate. But provided I identified the location of Hari Parbat correctly, then the mountain is much closer to Shounter valley than to anything else... So I moved the cat from "...AJK" to "...Shounter valley". Best regards --Rupert Pupkin (talk) 20:56, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
Hi. Can I ask why you tagged File:BudapestCarlLutzMemorial001.JPG with Category:Tamás Pál? I don't understand the connection, and the page describing the statue on Köztérkép doesn't mention it either. Do you have a reference, or was it just a mistake? – b_jonas 00:34, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
Hi Dear... Thanks a lot for your great and useful support for organizing my Uploaded Files' Category as I was already doing so also but you already helped me, as you noticed today there was a user that claiming that he is helping me but the way of doing so was so offensive (and as he is from Turkey and I am from Kurdistan of Iraq, later on, I understand why he's doing this), his remarks of the correction was so Demolition Criticism , such an attitude makes people give up their work in the Wikimedia Commons and also other WikiProject and it is exactly the opposite of yours as it helped me...Thanks again and have a nice Day --Sarbast.T.Hameed (talk) 19:57, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
Bazaars in ErbilEdit
Hi Dear.. it is me again.. sorry for replying late because I just noticed in my Talk History that you asked about the Bazaars in Erbil (Nishtiman & Qaysari) and actually they are not the same, they are very close to each other in location (one across the street) but not the same, both are in the same district near to Shar Park also and Erbil Citadel..Regards --Sarbast.T.Hameed (talk) 19:08, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
Talk Page DeleteEdit
Hi Dear ... I do not know to ask who here but I think it is better to ask for your advice on a situation of a user who is causing me with bad words and threatening me and also when I reply to his talk he delete it immediately and the same for any other replay on his page if he does not like it , so to whom I need to talk to about this..--Sarbast.T.Hameed (talk) 13:28, 2 May 2018 (UTC)
- @Sarbast.T.Hameed: As far as I know, talk pages belong to the user, so anyone is free to delete whatever they like. It's probably best if you try to discontinue further interaction with the user in question. If the user writes abusively on your talk page, let me know. If the user alters your edits, please try to discuss the edits in question without getting personal. It would be great if you would both try to de-escalate the situation rather than threatening to make complaints. - Themightyquill (talk) 13:33, 2 May 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks a lot for the advice and I did discontinue further interaction with him believe me but I do not understand him he is causing me to something he is doing it already... and also he is the one who deletes the Comment without reading them or discusses it with me, after all, he did threatened me especially by saying (“warning you formally”) ǃ and way thanks and I will do with your advice and will alert you if he writes abusively on my talk page.--Sarbast.T.Hameed (talk) 13:50, 2 May 2018 (UTC)
A user having a temper-tantrumEdit
A certain user (Russian Rocky) really needs to take a chill pill. Accussed me of "playing a deletionist game" and imposing Engish Wiki on Commons even after I repetedly explained that I don't even agree with English category policies and aren't trying to bring them here. some quotes "Please, be more serious, I'm not playing your game, where you are a GM.", "Your obsession with category deletionism is not ok", "We don't play puzzles on Commons" all because I nominated jubilee medal recipient categories for discussion. (BTW, similar jubilee medals don't have recipient categories). Can't you please shower him with Wikilove to get him to calm down a bit, maybe send a cookie? Since you're an admin with actual power maybe he might actually listen but he clearly despises me right now.--PlanespotterA320 (talk) 21:29, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
/* Category:Diaphragm arches */ require to close the discussionEdit
Could you have a look at Commons:Categories for discussion/2017/11/Category:Diaphragm arches, Please ? Cordialement--Pimprenel (talk) 18:21, 10 June 2018 (UTC)
Thank you for your answer in the discussion about diaphragm arches. I have written a definition in the page of the category and I am working on the subject in my draft in the french wikipedia but it isn't quite ready yet. fr:Utilisatrice:Pimprenel/brouillon 2. I'm afraid someone else will have to work upon the article in the english wikipedia. I also have added a description in the Schwibbogen category. I think that the article in the german wikipedia should be checked too.Cordialement--Pimprenel (talk) 20:55, 11 June 2018 (UTC)
- @Pimprenel: No worries. I'm fine with rewording it if my phrasing was unclear, but when you say it "bears a wall", to me that sounds like it's supporting a wall rather than itself forming a wall. Moreover, I'm not sure if it really forms a wall. The side of the arch is visible, but does that make it a wall? - Themightyquill (talk) 17:57, 13 June 2018 (UTC)
I didn't know that "it bears a wall" does not mean quite the same thing as "it supports a wall". If that's so, I will change that word because eventually I think that an arch included in a diaphragm wall cannot be a diaphragm arch, and I have removed several pictures from the files which did not seem to be real diaphragm arches for that reason. The section of wall above the arch must be visible from both sides.
My opinion about Schwibbögen is different now because I have tried to understand some pages of :(see in de:Schwibbogen (Architektur) K. Thieme, R. Sommer, S. Wolfe: Das grosse Buch der Stile. Band 5: „Die Romanik“. Reinhard Welz Vermittler Verlag e.K., Mannheim 2005 which are visible, with my basic understanding of german and the help of google translations. P175, it says that the somewhat oldish word Schwibbogen was taken a couple of decades ago for that thing that still had no name in german: our diaphragm arch . The author says that in : Cerisy la Forêt-France-Calvados as in church La Trinité de Caen (and there they still can be seen , I have taken some pictures), the diaphragm arches were supporting ceilings which were afterwards replaced by vaults. And that author also speaks about the d.a. in churches'crossings and about the chancel arch (when it's diaphragm too) that we call " arc triomphal". So I have changed what I said about the meaning of Schwibbogen in the explanation of Diaphragm arches. I hope you will agree with that. Cordialement--Pimprenel (talk) 19:21, 18 June 2018 (UTC)
I forgot to say that when I tried to create a category for Diaphragm arches in Germany, it wouldn't work : as soon as I clicked upon the words in red they jumped into the category "Schwibbogen". It's certainly a problem of re-direction. Is it possible to fix that ?. Cordialement--Pimprenel (talk) 09:33, 19 June 2018 (UTC)
- @Pimprenel: Thanks for the update. I've created Category:Diaphragm arches in Germany (which was redirected, as you suspected). Could you please add a suitable category description, ideally in both English and German, so that its purpose is clear? Thanks! - Themightyquill (talk) 13:27, 19 June 2018 (UTC)
Hello again, Themightyquill, I have inserted a description in Category:Diaphragm arches in Germany in english (the same as the one in the general category) but I am unfortunately quite unable to write in german. Sorry. Cordialement--Pimprenel (talk) 13:14, 20 June 2018 (UTC)
Hallo Themightyquill, I'm very sorry, but yesterday I made some error about a link in the discussion "diadems" and "tiaras". I hope that it is correct now (what a confusion...). Greetings,--Marie Adelaide (talk) 10:03, 13 June 2018 (UTC)
Lauwiner Empire usersEdit
@Srittau, Yann: Could you please take a look at my nomination at Commons:Deletion requests/Files in Category:Lauwiner Empire? While I want to assume good faith, I find the behaviour of the referenced users rather suspicious. I realize I'm an admin myself, but I've not been involved in policing user behaviour in the past, so I thought I'd call in your expertise. Thoughts? - Themightyquill (talk) 21:15, 21 June 2018 (UTC)
Hello Themightyquill, my article in the french wikipedia about diaphragm arches is finished now and I have also added a description in french in the category in commons. Maybe it is time to remove the request to discuss the category, don't you think ? Cordialement, --Pimprenel (talk) 17:31, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
Unidentified jet-powered aircraftEdit
Checking a CfD closeEdit
Could you take a second look at my CfD close here? I think my decision was reasonable given the dysfunctional state the category was in. However, Tuvalkin (who strongly dislikes me, and who I recently reported to COM:AN for unrelated issues) has accused me of acting in bad faith, and I'd appreciate an uninvolved party to look. Thanks, Pi.1415926535 (talk) 21:45, 19 August 2018 (UTC)
- @Pi.1415926535: Firstly, whether or not I agree with the decision to close, I don't think there's anything at all to indicate that you acted in bad faith. I wouldn't worry about it.
- Secondly, Tuvalkin and I have very very different ideas about proper categorization, so I'm probably not the best person to consult for a truly impartial decision on the closure itself.
- Third, thanks for all your efforts to work on CfDs over the past while, including old ones. It hasn't gone unnoticed. - Themightyquill (talk) 20:01, 21 August 2018 (UTC)