- 1 Archives
- 2 Disambiguation
- 3 Captions in January
- 4 Structured Data - file captions coming this week (January 2019)
- 5 Commons:Deletion requests/Files uploaded by TwinsofSedona
- 6 Undelivered email
- 7 File:Victoria, BC - Fan Tan Alley 01 - sign on Fisgard Street for Chinatown Trading Co., Ltd. at number 17 (20337634348).jpg
- 8 Category:Smokestacks
- 9 Exif time offset bot
- 10 Category:Alaskan_Way_Viaduct_-_October_22,_2011
- 11 Where to place announcement
- 12 Email address
- 13 Thank you!
- 14 Reminder to self
- 15 Note to self
- 16 Category:Dipinti
- 17 Quality image candidates
- 18 List Wholesale Fish
- 19 Check a POTD description
- 20 Photo walk in Stockholm
- 21 Matt Campbell
- 22 Circa 1889 Seattle waterfront
- 23 Note
- 24 Septembrie 2019: A început Wiki Loves Monuments în România!
- 25 Community Insights Survey
- 26 Notification about possible deletion
- 27 Reminder: Community Insights Survey
Captions in JanuaryEdit
My apologies if this is a duplicate message for you, it is being sent to multiple lists which you may be signed up for.
Hi all, following up on last month's announcement...
Multilingual file captions will be released this week, on either Wednesday, 9 January or Thursday, 10 January 2019. Captions are a feature to add short, translatable descriptions to files. Here's some links you might want to look follow before the release, if you haven't already:
- Read over the help page for using captions - I wrote the page on mediawiki.org because captions are available for any MediaWiki user, feel free to host/modify a copy of the page here on Commons.
- Test out using captions on Beta Commons.
- Leave feedback about the test on the captions test talk page, if you have anything you'd like to say prior to release.
Additionally, there will be an IRC office hour on Thursday, 10 January with the Structured Data team to talk about file captions, as well as anything else the community may be interested in. Date/time conversion, as well as a link to join, are on Meta.Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing those who can make it to the IRC office hour on Thursday. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:09, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
Commons:Deletion requests/Files uploaded by TwinsofSedonaEdit
Judging by the file names, I'm sure a number of files deleted at Commons:Deletion requests/Files uploaded by TwinsofSedona are actually in scope, but since I'm not an admin, I can't tell which would be worth requesting at COM:UDR. Since you commented on the DR, would you be willing to take a look? Thanks. clpo13(talk) 17:53, 8 January 2019 (UTC)
- @Clpo13: I already commented to that effect, but was overruled by the deleting admin, which is who you will need to take this up with. For example, I have no idea why anyone thought File:Tuskegee Airmen David Toliver Sr. with members of the Tuskegee Airman, Arizona Chapter attend Col. Kurt Gallegos 944th FW Commander Retirement Party.jpg is out of scope. - Jmabel ! talk 17:57, 8 January 2019 (UTC)
Hi, my email to you at your usual domain "wasn't delivered [...] because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail." I have forwarded the original message to your gmail account. Peaceray (talk) 20:44, 10 January 2019 (UTC)
File:Victoria, BC - Fan Tan Alley 01 - sign on Fisgard Street for Chinatown Trading Co., Ltd. at number 17 (20337634348).jpgEdit
File:Victoria, BC - Fan Tan Alley 01 - sign on Fisgard Street for Chinatown Trading Co., Ltd. at number 17 (20337634348).jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Exif time offset botEdit
I seem to remember a couple VP discussions that you started or were involved in regarding how to deal with the situation of camera clocks at known offsets to local time. I have been mulling over creating a bot and template pair, something like Rotatebot that would modify the Exif time by an offset. Do you think this would be a worthwhile endeavor? For various reasons, I think it would need to be limited to considering requests only from the uploader. Thoughts appreciated. Storkk (talk) 11:22, 7 February 2019 (UTC)
- @Storkk: I'd be glad to have it. That said, we never came up with any real answer to what to do, so I've just ended up with notations like the one in the date field of File:Bucharest - Biserica Adormirea Maicii Domnului 01.jpg. - Jmabel ! talk 14:38, 7 February 2019 (UTC)
Where to place announcementEdit
- @Pine: I guess that's OK, although at this point, the relevance to Commons seems small. Commons doesn't use references; the tutorial itself being on Commons is, like almost any file on Commons, mostly a matter of indifference to most Commons users as such; the prospect of a tutorial related in any way to Commons is, as far as I can see, in the indefinite future. I wouldn't have posted it there, but there's nothing actively wrong with doing so. - Jmabel ! talk 07:06, 26 February 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the extension of this project is speculative at this point in time, but I thought that it would be best to place a notification on Commons because I previously notified Commons regarding the predecessor project which included Commons tutorials within its scope, and because if this pilot project is successful than I think that there is a fairly high likelihood that future tutorials will cover Commons topics, so Commons contributors might be interested in signing up for the newsletter. :) --Pine✉ 20:40, 26 February 2019 (UTC)
Hi, I sent you an email but it bounced. If you are no longer getting email at that address then would you please email me your new email address using the "email this user" feature? Thanks! --Pine✉ 04:04, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
Thank you for your many (many!) pictures of the Chinatown-International District. As an ethnically Chinese kid growing up in eastern Washington, our family spent a surprisingly high amount of time in CID. Cheers, Mliu92 (talk) 03:38, 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- @Mliu92: You're very welcome. Definitely one of the most interesting parts of Seattle.
- Have you been back since they expanded Hing Hay Park? Probably the most positive thing that has happened to the neighborhood in years. - Jmabel ! talk 05:43, 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- I moved to California in 1992 and haven't spent significant (>1 week) in Washington since then, unfortunately. I'm impressed that so much of the CID has remained how I remembered it, although it's kinda weird to see pictures of the micropolis that Uwajimaya has become (it was the most accessible store in terms of fun stuff and toys for kids). I've updated the Hing Hay Park page because I wasn't even aware it had been expanded, and the prior edit made it sound like it hadn't completed yet. In my reading, at some point, I have read about docile pigeons murmuring in city squares and plazas, and every single time I've remembered shuffling my feet through Hing Hay Park.
- I've also started a page for the Donnie Chin International Childrens Park on Wikipedia; if you're in the neighborhood again, it would be nice to have a picture or two added to the new page, if you have a chance. Cheers, Mliu92 (talk) 14:03, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
Reminder to selfEdit
Note to selfEdit
Hello, you created some time ago the category Category:Dipinti; do you remember what if was for? In Italian, "Dipinti" means "paintings", and a lot of users used this category by mistake. In fact, it would be better to transform it in a redirect. Cheers --Ruthven (msg) 09:06, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
Quality image candidatesEdit
Hello! I just recently nominated a couple images for Quality image status here at Commons, and found the process to be quite easy. I am curious, have you attempted to promote any of your images, or do you have any favorites you think might qualify? I'd be happy to nominate them on your behalf, if you're not interested in jumping through the hoops yourself. -Another Believer (talk) 22:04, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- @Another Believer: Thanks! After a few interactions over proposed featured images, I decided to stop arguing aesthetics with a group that clearly has a consensus I disagree with (e.g. strong preference for 1-point perspective). I'm not sure I've ever engaged the quality image process as such. If you want to nominate some of mine: User:Jmabel consists mainly of images that have been published in books or in prominent magazines; User:Jmabel/People is of varied technical quality (a lot of shooting during performances, etc.) but if you wanted to try some as test cases, File:Andrei Dăscălescu 05 (cropped).jpg, File:Clark Humphrey 01.jpg, File:Ron Johnson 05.jpg, File:Wendy Fonarow 02.jpg, and File:Jinkx Monsoon 06.jpg are, to my mind, rock solid; if they don't like those, then they simply don't like my aesthetic for photographing people. I'm frankly prouder of things like File:Buck Ormsby 06 (cropped).jpg, File:Pop Conference 2017 - Mike Hadreas (Perfume Genius) 01 (cropped).jpg and File:OK Hotel Reunion - Carla Torgerson 01 (24834017293).jpg, solid photos taken in very difficult conditions, but I know from experience they don't "give difficulty points." Similarly, I presume File:The Darkness 047A.jpg is too low-res for them. - Jmabel ! talk 23:53, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks, I'll take a look. In the meantime, you should consider quality noms over featured noms. See Commons:Quality images candidates. I just nominated 2 images by others earlier today (see May 22) and they've already received positive feedback. Super easy. Something to keep in mind! -Another Believer (talk) 23:57, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, File:Victoria, BC - Swans Hotel (Scott Building) pano 01 (20396318108).jpg was not promoted (see here). The other two are still being reviewed at Commons:Quality_images_candidates#May_22,_2019. -Another Believer (talk) 19:49, 29 May 2019 (UTC)
List Wholesale FishEdit
Check a POTD descriptionEdit
Hello, Joe, could you kindly check the Spanish description in Potd/2019-08-25 (es)? I used machine translation for this. Compare it with Potd/2019-08-25 (en). If there are mistakes in this, feel free to improve this, as well. (And because I created the MOTD before and used it partly as blueprint, see also Motd/2019-08-25 (en)). — Speravir – 00:46, 11 June 2019 (UTC)
- @Speravir: I took a shot at it. Nothing in the Spanish before really conveyed "locomotive shop". Also, I chose a simpler verb tense in both the English and the Spanish. Keep in mind, I'm not a native Spanish speaker, and someone who is should probably still review that. - Jmabel ! talk 01:02, 11 June 2019 (UTC)
- Thank you nonetheless! — Speravir – 01:07, 11 June 2019 (UTC)
Photo walk in StockholmEdit
It's only a few weeks until Wikimania 2019 in Sweden. I'd like to invite you to the Commons Photographer's photo walk. If you're planning on going to Stockholm in August, please consider joining this event. This is an opportunity to connect with other photographers, have fun together, and explore the beauty of an iconic Scandinavian city… All the best, --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 03:50, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Edf55: If you have a problem with a user's behavior, I suggest (1) bring it to the administrators' noticeboard rather than one specific admin, (2) provide diffs that show their inappropriate behavior, and (3) notify the user so they have a chance to state their side of the matter; if you are really uneasy doing the last, indicate that and ask that an admin notify them. And I'd also suggest that "jail" is a very unlikely outcome. - Jmabel ! talk 23:40, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Sorry. He declined that Larry Philpot destroyed my work.Edf55 (talk) 08:04, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
Circa 1889 Seattle waterfrontEdit
The following images have to be post-Fire because the Rainier Hotel was started right after the fire, built rapidly and opened in November 1889.
I don't mean to be abrasive, but a lot of people find themselves here on accident, when they don't realize they're no longer on their native language project. It's generally a bit more COM:MELLOW to just brush it off as a newbie mistake, and kindly point them to their native language help desk using an inter-wiki link. After all, we wan't more contributors everywhere, because that usually means more contributors on multi-lingual projects too. If I can ever be of any help, please don't hesitate to contact me. Sorry if this comes off as too forward. GMGtalk 00:16, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
- @GreenMeansGo: Not at all, but what are you referring to? - Jmabel ! talk 00:22, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
- @GreenMeansGo: Just in case that wasn't clear, "not at all" was with reference to you being possibly too abrasive or forward. But I don't know where you think I stompled a newbie. - Jmabel ! talk 03:53, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
- It's no big deal, but it kindof felt like this could come off as a little overwhelming to a newbie. GMGtalk 10:03, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Septembrie 2019: A început Wiki Loves Monuments în România!Edit
Primiți acest mesaj deoarece ați participat anterior la concursul Wiki Loves Monuments România.
Am fi încântați dacă ați participa și în acest an la documentarea fotografică a patrimoniului nostru cultural construit. Pentru detalii și reguli de participare, puteți găsi mai multe informații pe pagina Wiki Loves Monuments România. Dacă aveți fotografii și din alte țări, puteți verifica aici țările participante.
Mulțumim și nu uitați, concursul se desfășoară până pe 30 septembrie! Mult succes!
Community Insights SurveyEdit
RMaung (WMF) 01:14, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
Notification about possible deletionEdit
Some contents have been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether they should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at their entry.
If you created these pages, please note that the fact that they have been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with them, such as a copyright issue.
Reminder: Community Insights SurveyEdit
RMaung (WMF) 15:24, 20 September 2019 (UTC)