WELCOME TO THE GRAPHICS VILLAGE PUMP!
This Graphics village pump aims to be technical support forum for all the local Labs, graphists (graphic artists), and volunteers interested in graphic works, and is a page where graphists and users from all the Labs can talk about graphics, tutorials, graphic software, help to build new Graphic Labs, etc. Also for exchanging opinions, ideas, protocols, and ways of improvement.
See also: Graphics abilities page | Graphic Tool | Project Insignia | Stroke Order Project | Current requests/discussions
To have the opinion of graphists check
Diagonally striped pattern on svg country mapEdit
I'm trying to fill countries with a diagonally striped pattern on a svg world map
kind of style, however, just filling countries instead of regions would be fine. Colors should be able to be determined with the ability to create transparent stripes. There are instructions
on how to entirely fill and circle countries, but the above feature is missing. Anyone here who could extend the instructions or comment? Would like to use this map outside of Wikipedia in case there are different rendering requirements.
Help recoloring/optimizing an SVGEdit
I have been working on extracting United States federal government public domain logos from PDFs with Inkscape and uploading them as SVG. The image File:DOL_WHD_logo.svg is intended to replace File:WHD.png, but the source I got it from used white lettering instead of the blue. Can someone help me by recoloring this image? There is also a slight error where the red from the wavy stripes extends to inside the bottom middle of the W letter. William Graham (talk) 22:47, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
- @William Graham: Done. The "U.S. Wage and Hour Division" text was hidden below the image. I decided to bring it into view and change its color to match File:WHD.png.
- I believe this kind of request should have been made in the illustration workshop. The graphics village pump seems to be for technical support and discussions, while the illustration workshop is for requesting the creation or modification of this kind of image. TilmannR (talk) 13:55, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- @TilmannR: Would you consider cropping it to just the foreground elements? — Jeff G. ツ please ping or talk to me 14:28, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Jeff G.: Done. TilmannR (talk) 16:45, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- @TilmannR: Thanks! — Jeff G. ツ please ping or talk to me 17:25, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
This section is resolved and can be archived. If you disagree, replace this template with your comment. TilmannR
) 03:57, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
Support HEIF/HEIC file formatEdit
en:High Efficiency Image File Format(HEIF/HEIC) is a default file format for Apple iOS & macOS now. Is there a plan for supporting HEIC images in commons? Currently HEIF format is not supported widely. So, we need to convert images from HEIF to JPEG on the server side. (See also Help:SVG & Help:JPEG). -- ChongDae (talk) 02:29, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- @ChongDae:As far as I know Commons can only use open file-formats, and I would assume HEIF ist not an open file-format. If so it is not allowed on commons. — Johannes Kalliauer - Talk | Contributions 18:49, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- @ChongDae: I don't know which specific encoding Apple is using, but "HEIF itself is a container, and when containing images and image sequences encoded in a particular format (e.g., HEVC or H.264/AVC) its use becomes subject to the licensing of patents on the coding format." (en:High_Efficiency_Image_File_Format#Patent_licensing) TilmannR (talk) 19:51, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
HEIF(ISO/IEC 23008-12) and HEVC(ISO/IEC 23008–2) are parts of ISO standards. And LGPL implementation for HEVC is available. ImageMagick and other s/w now support HEIF format. And Google Android P will store images as HEIC. -- ChongDae (talk) 01:20, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
- @ChongDae: Eventuell sollest du einen Task auf phab: dafür machen. — Johannes Kalliauer - Talk | Contributions 16:12, 14 November 2018 (UTC)
Removing pages from PDF while keeping bookmarksEdit
There are some nice PDF files with TOC presented in bookmarks. The problem is, they have some copyrighted pages such as covers or editorials. I need to
either remove or blank those pages. Right now I'm using en:PDFtk like this:
pdftk kuzmina-karavaeva_stikhi_1937__ocr.pdf cat 2 6-104 output out.pdf
Result (see File:Кузьмина-Караваева, Елизавета Юрьевна. Стихи (1937).pdf) does have pages removed, the problem is, the bookmarks are gone too.
Is there an easy way to keep bookmarks? Preferably with Linux command line tools. --M5 (talk) 15:42, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
- @M5: I use on Windows: http://www.pdfill.com/pdftool_split.html this is a grafical user interfrace and it's free, and I know it works (keeps the bookmarks if you enable).
- For Linux you might check: de:Benutzer:JoKalliauer/PDF#Ubuntu, I personally use: w:PDF Split and Merge (free, with GUI), and I think it keeps the bookmarks.
- — Johannes Kalliauer - Talk | Contributions 19:14, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you, PDF Split and Merge did the job well. --M5 (talk) 09:36, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
This section is resolved and can be archived. If you disagree, replace this template with your comment. — Johannes Kalliauer
- Talk | Contributions
15:59, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
Problem with colors in SVG renderingEdit
Hi, I have two small problems concerning File:Sinsheim in Sinsheim.svg, which was created in QGIS and then edited in Inkscape. The highlighted color is supposed to be #c12737 and shows as such in the full svg view in Firefox as well as is the preview thumbnail before uploading the file. What should I change so that it is also rendered correctly by the Mediawiki software? Also, I'd be glad about font recommendations that look better in the thumbnail. Cheers, --Földhegy (talk) 07:23, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Földhegy: I don't see any rendering problems. (The color seems to be right?)
- If you want font-recomendations, please look at File:MediaWiki_SVG_font_list_sans.svg, File:MediaWiki_SVG_font_list_serif.svg and meta:SVG_fonts.
- I would say the three most common fonts might be: "Liberation Sans,DejaVu Sans,Liberations Serif"
- — Johannes Kalliauer - Talk | Contributions 16:33, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- Hm, very interesting - the color seems to be right for some browsers, but in Firefox, there is a difference between the thumbnail/preview and full view (only the svg in full view shows the color correctly), see image attached. And thanks for the recommendations. --Földhegy (talk) 22:11, 6 December 2018 (UTC)
- @Földhegy: Thanks for the Preview. Now I know what you are meaning. But my Firefox 63.0.3 (Windows) this problem does not occour. Can you add which Picture is the Wiki-PNG(Which resolution) and which is the SVG. And add a URL-link which Version you are refering. f.e for the last version you uploaded:
- — Johannes Kalliauer - Talk | Contributions 07:51, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
- In File:Preview vs full view color rendering.png, the SVG (2018-11-28, 16:22 [the current] version) is on the left, the 800px wiki-PNG on the right. Unfortunately I don't know how to get the permanent link to the current version, but the problem persists :( --Földhegy (talk) 16:51, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
Bug in rendering of SVG patternsEdit
~Hi. Example below, where SVG patterns are displayed differently for e.g. 145px and 146px image size. Please consider how to fix this bug. Image in question, with a standard striped pattern from Inkscape: File:Coat of arms of Europe (hatched).svg. Thanks!
-Ssolbergj (talk) 11:19, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- Pattern only rudimentary supported
- see Librsvg_bugs#Pattern for more information.
- — Johannes Kalliauer - Talk | Contributions 16:36, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- This bug happens, when the individual cells that the pattern consists of cover only a tiny area. I don't know exactly why it fails, but I encountered the same problem with Ducktales2017Logo.svg. You can circumvent the bug by combining multiple repetitions of the pattern into one larger version. E.g. I fixed the thumbnail of Coat of arms of Europe (hatched).svg by having the pattern cover four lines instead of one. TilmannR (talk) 17:17, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- Well, this bug has clearly has been known for some time. I hope someone can fix it; in the meantime I'll use your fix, TilmannR. Thank you! - Ssolbergj (talk) 21:00, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
PNG-converted image doesn't show SVG text properlyEdit
As you see, those text are not readable. How can I fix the problem? I created this file with Inkscape 0.91 for Linux.
Onhigan (talk) 13:06, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
Sorry, this problem had already been reported on phab:T36947. Thanks to JoKalliauer, the text is readable now.
Onhigan (talk) 16:02, 30 November 2018 (UTC)